- JV Football: Byrnes 26 – Clinton 6… The Clinton J.V. Team traveled to Nixon field at Byrnes High School and lost to a very tough Byrnes team 26-6… After trading possessions in the first quarter Byrnes scored on a 25 yard run and the missed two point conversion gave Byrnes a 6-0 lead… Clinton was forced to punt on its next possession and it was blocked giving Byrnes a short field and they scored on 5 yard pass… The two point conversion was no good and Byrnes lead 12-0… Clinton fumbled the next kickoff giving Byrnes another short field and they scored on a short run and kicked the extra point to take a 19-0 lead in the second quarter… Clinton took the next drive and scored on the last play of the first half on a 3 yard run by Tyshyman Boyd… The two point conversion was no good and Clinton trailed 19-6 at the half… Clinton took the second half kickoff and kept the ball the entire 3rd quarter before turning it over on downs in the 4th qtr… Byrnes scored on a 4th down pass play with 6 minutes to go and went up 26-6… Clinton held the Rebels late 3 times inside the 5 with less than a minute to go to keep them out of the endzone… Coach Terry had a great defensive plan and forced the Rebels to run the ball instead of throwing it.. The offense did a good job of keeping the ball away from Byrnes in the second half and had plenty of opportunities but could not put a score on the board… The Red Devils will host Abbeville Thursday… Contributed by Coach Chris Wofford.
- 9th Grade Football: Laurens 40 – Woodruff 20… Laurens took the opening kickoff and drove 70 yards in 5 plays.. DQ Floyd scored from 28 yards out with 6:45 left in the first period… The 2-point conversion from Josh McGowan to Jayln walker was good making it 8-0… Floyd had all but 11 of the yards on the ground in the drive…. Woodruff responded going 61 yards in 7 plays for a score on the next possession… The score came on a 20 yard pass play that was just over the Raider defender’s fingertips… A 2-point PAT pass attempt failed making it 8-6 with 3:22 left in the first quarter…. The Raiders matched that score going 59 yards with the score coming on a 12 yard run by Jonathan Rayford…. McGowan rushed for the 2-point Pat making the score 16-6 with 30.4 seconds left in the quarter… Woodruff muffed the ensuing kickoff and Shokeill Moses fell on the ball giving the Raiders possession at the Woodruff 33 with 15 seconds left in the first period. Floyd then added his second TD on a 27 yard run…. A 2-point pass from Colton LeRoy to Deshundre Cunningham made it 24-6 with 9:42 left in the half…. Woodruff then drove to the Raider 3 yard line only to have Rayford cause the fumble on the tackle and recover it…Laurens could not get out of the shadow of the goal line and punted which resulted in the Wolverines getting the ball at the Raider 9 yard line after a 25 yard punt return… Three plays later they scored but missed the PAT making it 24-12 with 1:32 in the half… The next score came on the Raider’s first possession of the second half…. McGowan connected with Rayford who made a great catch on a 21 yard pass to put the Raiders at the Wolverine 5 yard line… After a Raider penalty, McGowan connected with Floyd on a 10 yard pass for the score… McGowan added the 2-point PAT making it 32-12 Raiders with 6:04 left in the third quarter…. Laurens scored again with 1:16 left in the period when Floyd broke loose on an 82 yard run in the only play of the drive… Rayford rammed in the 2-point conversion making it 40-12…. Woodruff’s last score came with 59.8 seconds left and the 2-point conversion was no good making the final score 40-12 with the Raider 9th grade team picking up their first win of the season… Their next game will be on Thursday September 26th at Easley.
- JV Football: Laurens 35 – Woodruff 6… Laurens was the first team to score as they took over after a short Woodruff punt at the Wolverine 45 yard line with 3:34 left in the first period… On the first play from scrimmage, Toby Jackson connected with Kee Whitmore to give the Raiders a first down at the Wolverine 14 yard line… Three plays later, Jackson carried it in from 11 yards out with 1:06 left in the first quarter… Irvin Angeles added the extra point making it 7-0 Raiders… Woodruff answered with a score of their own on a 45 yard pass play but missed the extra point making t 7-6 with 8:42 left in the half… After a good kickoff return by Devarious Briggs, Laurens set up shop on the Woodruff 46 yard line…. Six plays later, Chuck Johnson carried the ball in from 3 yards out… Angeles gain added the PAT making the score 14-6 with 3:37 left in the half which is where it stood at the break…. On Woodruff’s first possession of the second half, Briggs intercepted a Wolverine pass at the Woodruff 27 yard line and ran it in for an apparent pick-six… However a block in the back negated the score and Laurens took over on the Wolverine 27 yard line… On the first play from scrimmage Thomas Blackwell carried it the distance for the score… Angeles PAT was good and the Raiders lead was extended to 21-6 with 5:48 left in the third period… Laurens scored again with 9:48 left in the game when Woodruff attempted a punt from their own endzone… The ball was fumbled and Chuck Johnson fell on the ball in the endzone for the touchdown… Angles remained perfect on the night with the PAT and with 9:45 left in the game the Raiders led 28-6…. The Raiders last score came when the Raider defense held Woodruff on a fourth down situation turning the ball back over to the offense at the Laurens 47 yard line… Four plays later Whitmore carrying it in from 30 yards out… Angeles PAT made it 35-6 with 4:30 left in the game…. The Raider JV team now improves to 2-1 and will see action next Thursday at Easley.
Middle School Football
- Honea Path 50 – Hickory Tavern 6… HT hosted HP and came up on the short end of a 50-6 score.. Jaylen Bragg had the only TD for the Panthers
- Bell Street White 34 – Belton 20… Sorry no details at this time. Check back later
- Sanders 44 – Gray Court-Owings 20… Troy Dendy had over 250 yards of total offense and 5 TDs for the victors… He ran for 2 TDs as well as passing for one and catching one… Justin Anderson also threw TD passes to Ty Foster as well as catching Dendy’s TD pass… For GCO, Josh Adams threw TD passes to Josh Greens and Dante Garrett… Josh Adams also had a long TD run… Head Coach JR Reid noted the preparation done by his staff especially offensive coordinator Corey Graydon who was in charge of the play calling during the game.
- Bell Street Red 22 – Laurens Middle School 14… BSR scored the go-ahead touchdown with about 2 minutes left in the game on a TD run by Tobias Smith… They then held on 4th down as LMS attempted to tie the game preserving their win…Carado Ray, Tye Rice and Dre Mills all had TDs for the Tigers… Smith had one other TD for the Wildcats of BSR and Kris Holmes had the other.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity Football host Byrnes 7:30
- Varsity Football at Woodruff 7:30
- Varsity Football host Greenville Hurricanes 7:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be taking on the nationally ranked Byrnes Rebels … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Byrnes at Clinton game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at Woodruff for all the action as the Raiders take on the Wolverines… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 97.3 or 99.5 whichever I find is clearer when I get there… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to the game Friday night… The cost will be $5.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:15 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side.
This & That:
- Carolina Mascot Challenge… Once again this year both the CHS Red Devil mascot and the LDHS’s Sir Victor the Raider are participating in the Carolina Mascot Challenge promoted by television station CW62 in the Spartanburg area… The mascot finishing first in fan voting will earn up to a $1500 check for their school.. You can vote for your favorite mascot once a day from different devices (IP addresses)… If you want to vote, you need to hurry because first round voting ends this Sunday night for the preliminary round… Click on the following link to go to the stations site where you will find all the contest rules as well as your opportunity to vote: Link to Voting Site for Mascot Challenge Contest Your school can’t win if you don’t vote.
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.