• Byrnes 62 – Clinton 0… The Byrnes Rebels took the opening kickoff and returned it 95 yards for a score and then went on to take a 62-0 win over the CHS Red Devils… The Rebels ranked in the top 20 nationally used their wide open offense to up 42-0 at the half… They then became more conservative relying mostly on the run in the second half… Clinton was able to grind out 178 yards of offense all on the ground but Byrnes used big plays and quick strikes to amass 495 yards of total offense with 311 of it coming in the air… For complete stats on the game, click on the following link: Byrnes @ Clinton Stats Clinton will travel to Abbeville to take on the Panthers.
• Woodruff 48 – Laurens 28… The Laurens Raiders also ran into a team that has a wide open offensive style last Friday night the Woodruff Wolverines.. Led by former Laurens running back Isaac Rice who had 4 rushing TDs on the night and 1 receiving, the Wolverines took a 48-28 win over the Raiders often on quick strikes and big plays. …. Woodruff had 581 total yards of offense with 372 of them coming in the air… The Raiders managed 242 yards of offense with 140 coming from the ground attack… The Raiders suffered through 4 interceptions and one lost fumble… Quin Suber had 3 TD runs ( 1, 2 and 35 yards) for the Raiders and Grayson Bailes connected with Jacourious Sullivan for a 10 yard scoring strike… Laurens will start region play this Friday night when they host Easley… They will be honoring the 1983 State Championship Team at the game… Click on the following link for complete stats on the Woodruff game: 2013-9-20_Laurens-Woodruff Click on the following link for some season stats for the Raiders:Laurens Season Combined-Wk-4
• Christ Church 42 – Ware Shoals 20… The Ware Shoals Hornets battled the Christ Church cavalier to a draw for most of the first half allowing only a score off a blocked punt… With about a minute to play the Hornets executed the hook-&-ladder as Quarterback Hunter Wood tossed a short pass to Juwan Abney, who then pitched the ball to a streaking Chris Panapa making the score 7-6 CC… On the next play from scrimmage with seconds left in the half, CC hit pay dirt again on an 80 yard pass play to go up 14-6 at the half… CC then scored 21 unanswered points in the 3rd and 4th quarter before the Hornets got on the board with a 20 yard pass play from Wood to McClendon.. CC answered with a score and Ware Shoals got on the board for the last time on a 30 yard run by Lomax.
• Laurens Academy 56 – Greenville Hurricanes 18
Braves: The Braves finished their last road trip in the Windy City with a weekend series with the Cubs.
• Friday: Braves 9 – Cubs 5… The Braves broke a 5-5 tie in the top of the 9th inning as they posted 4 runs in the inning to take a 9-5 win over the Cubs…. The game also marked the return of Jason Heyward’s to lineup after having his jaw fractured by a pitch on August 21st.
• Saturday: Cubs 3 –Braves 1… The Cubs rebounded on Saturday and took a 3-1 win over the Braves scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to take the win.
• Sunday: Braves 5 – Cubs 2… Andrelton Simmons had 2 homeruns and Freddie Freeman 1 as the Braves posted a 5-2 win over the Cubs yesterday in the series finale… More importantly, the Braves learned during the game that the Washington Nationals had lost the first game of a doubleheader therefore making the Braves the NL East Champions for the 1st time since 2005 when they captured their 14th straight division championship… The Braves start their final 7 games of the season tonight at home with a 3 game series with the Brewers… The Braves have the best record in the NL at 92-63 but want to make sure they retain that home field advantage over the next 7 games.
Pro Football Scores:
• Panthers 38 – Giants 0… The Panthers finally broke out and just put a good old whooping on the Giants as they took a 38-0 win in Charlotte… Panther had 402 yards of offense to the Giants 150… Cam Newton had 223 yards passing with 3 passing TDs and 1 rushing while Angelo Williams had 120 yards on the ground.
• Dolphins 27 – Falcons 23… The Falcons had more total yardage than the Dolphins (377-285) and had the ball longer (37:09 – 22:51) but dolphins had more of what counts and that s points as they defeated the Falcons 27-23 in Florida.
Local Sports Schedule:
• Varsity Volleyball @ Mid-Carolina 5:00
• MS & Varsity Volleyball @ Oakbrook 4:00
• Middle School Football… we will have our first broadcast of middle school football this Wednesday (9-25-13) as we bring you all the action from Laurens Middle School where the Tigers will be taking on the Bell Street White Wildcats… Kickoff is slated for 5:00 pm so we’ll go live about 5 minutes before that… As normal, we stream all local sports online at wlbg.com.
• WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Abbeville as the Red Devils will be taking on the Abbeville Panthers … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
• WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
This & That:
• Carolina Mascot Challenge… Once again this year both the CHS Red Devil mascot and the LDHS’s Sir Victor the Raider are participating in the Carolina Mascot Challenge promoted by television station CW62 in the Spartanburg area… The mascot finishing first in fan voting will earn up to a $1500 check for their school.. You can vote for your favorite mascot once a day from different devices (IP addresses)… If you want to vote, you need to hurry because first round voting ends this Sunday night for the preliminary round… Click on the following link to go to the stations site where you will find all the contest rules as well as your opportunity to vote: Link to Voting Site for Mascot Challenge Contest Your school can’t win if you don’t vote.
• Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.