- Abbeville 34 – Clinton 12… The CHS Red Devils travelled to Abbeville last Friday night for their final non-region contest with the Abbeville Panthers… Fumbles, interception and other miscues again plagued the Red Devils as they fell 34-12 to the Panthers… On Clinton’s first possession they drove to inside the Abbeville 35 yard line when a pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage and then intercepted and returned to the Clinton 8 from where Abbeville took in… Later in the 2nd period, Clinton seemed to be about to score when Shakeem Dowdy was stripped of the ball and the Panthers recovered… They later scored… Vee Thompson had a 5 yard TD run for the Red Devils early in the 4th quarter with a 2-point conversion being carried in by Kevious Hunter… Clinton’s other score came late in the 4th quarter on a 65yard pass play from Blaine Willbanks to Tay Cook…. Clinton had more total offense (340 – 338) and plays (67-65) than Abbeville…. Kevious Hunter led the Red Devils in rushing with 86 yard on 14 carries… Blaine Wilbanks went 11-23 passing for 135 yards with the 1 TD and 1 interception… For more statistics, click on the following link: Clinton at Abbeville Stats… Clinton travels to Broome this Friday.
- Laurens 34 – Easley 16… The Laurens Raiders opened region play last Friday night with a 34-16 win over the Easley Green Wave at KC Hannah Stadium…. Laurens scored on the 1st possession of the game when Quin Suber connected with Quay Bunch on a scoring strike with Angeles Irvin adding the PAT… Easley returned the ensuing kickoff to the Raider 8 yard line where the defense gave up only 3 yards forcing the Green Wave to settle for a 23 yard field goal… The Raiders started a 66 yard drive late in the 1st quarter that culminated with a 1 yard TD run by Quin Suber with Irvin again adding the PAT with 9:10 left in the first half… Later in the half Thomas Jones made his first of two interceptions of the night and returned it to the Easley 6 yard line… Two plays later Suber found Jacorius Sullivan in the endzone making it 21-3 at the half when Irvin’s PAT was added…. On the first play from scrimmage to start the second half, Thomas Jones picked up his second interception of the night and carried it in from 18 yards out for the score. The PAT was good by Irvin… Easley picked up their first TD late in the 4th quarter making it 28-10… On Laurens’ first play from scrimmage after Easley’s on-side kick failed, Toby Jackson connected with Kiante Boyd on a 49 scoring play to make it 34-10… Easley’s last score came with no time left on the clock at the end of the game in a strange way…. The Green Wave threw a pass into the Raider endzone as time expired that was intercepted by Scott Grant who then ran a few steps in the endzone and tossed it to an official who let it fall to the ground… After a couple of seconds the official picked up the ball and started to walk away with it but then put it back on the ground… An Easley player picked it up and the officials signaled TD for Easley as they ruled Grant had fumbled… Don’t ask me about the official picking up the ball and then putting it back down…. Click on the following for complete game statistics: Easley at Laurens Statistics The Raiders travel to Woodmont this Friday night.
- Ware Shoals 52 Southside Christian 12… The Ware Shoals Hornets suffered through their worst half of the season to start the game in Simpsonville with Southside Christian and trailed 14-12 at the half… However the Hornets dominated the second half and went on to post 52-21 win.
- Braves 12 – Phillies 5… The Atlanta Braves finished the regular season with a 96-66 record yesterday when the defeated the Phillies in Atlanta by a score of 12-5… Evan Gattis had a 2 run homer for the Braves… The Braves will host the LA Dodgers in playoff action this Thursday.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Golf vs. Oakbrook Prep at Willow Creek 4:00
- Volleyball host Woodruff 5:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Spartanburg as the Red Devils will be taking on the Broome Centurions … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Registration is now open for Youth Soccer which will start October 22… There will be three age groupings: 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Monday, Sept. 30th… Click on the following link for much more information about the soccer program or call the Y at 833-1555…Fall 2013 Clinton YMCA Youth Soccer Information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.