- JV: Clinton 34 – Broome 0… The Red Devil JV team picked up their third win of the season last night as they defeated Broome 34-0 at home… Tashymen Boyd scored the first of his 3 TDs on a 7 yard run in the 2nd quarter… Boyd scored again on the ensuing kickoff when Broom fumbled and he scooped it up for a 65 yard return for the score… Tra Jones also scored in the second period to make it 22-0 at the half… Boyd picked up his third score early on the 3rd period scoring from 1 yard out… Jones registered his 2nd score of the night in the 3rd period on a 45 yard run… Broome threatened at the Clinton 10 yard line but the Red Devil defense shut them out…. The team travels to Chapman next Thursday.
- 9th Grade: Laurens 42 – Woodmont 24… Well how can I put this, DQ Floyd had a great night behind some great blocking as he had 6 TD runs in Laurens 42-24 win over the Woodmont Wildcats… He scored on runs of 1, 81, 57, 1, 75 and 72 yards and added all the extra point attempts that were made… Unofficially he wound up with 388 yards rushing on 16 carries… The defense also played well giving up a couple of big plays and Austin Starnes had an interception for Raiders… The 9th grade team is now 2-3 on the season.
- JV: Laurens 21 – Woodmont 8… In JV action, Laurens fell behind early but came back to take a 21-8 win over Woodmont at KC Hannah Stadium last night… Woodmont scored first when a punt by Laurens was low and hit a lineman in the back and was scooped up by the Wildcats for the score and with a 2-point PAT led 8-0 with 7:20 left in the 1st period… Laurens responded going 65 yards and scored on a 35 yard pass from Graydon Hamby to Desario Whitmore… Irvin Angeles added the Pat to make it 8-7 Wildcats… Laurens held Woodmont on their next possession and forced a punt attempt… The snap was high and Justin Henry fell on the ball giving Laurens the ball at the Wildcat 14… Hamby wasted no time connecting with Kiante Boyd for the score on the first play… Angeles split the uprights to make it 14-8 with 2:22 left in the first period… Laurens last score in the 3rd period was set up when Milo Joy recovered a Woodmont fumble at the Wildcat 7 yard line… One play later Kee Whitmore carried it the distance with Angles again good on the extra point… The JVs improve their record to 4-1 with the win… Click on the following for a possession-by possession account of both Laurens games tonight: 2013-10-3_9th_JV-Football
Middle School Athletics
- Gray Court-Owings 12 – Bell Street White 8… In Middle school action up at GCO, the Tigers of GCO took a 12-8 over the BSW team… Kydale Milton had the 2 TDs for the Tigers… BSW got the ball inside the GCO twenty four times but the Tigers held them out… They were at the 1 when time ran out… TC Irons had the TC Irons had the TD reception for the Wildcats and Sincere Hunt added the 2-point conversion.
- Belton 14 – Hickory Tavern 12… Belton put 14 points on the board up at Hickory Tavern last night in the first half and then were held scoreless in the second half as they took a 14-12 win over the Panthers of Hickory Tavern… Jaylen Bragg connected with Leyton Mahon for 1 Panther score and Ryan Draper added a TD run for the Panthers… Parker Tucker was cited by Coach Rob Sheffield for his tough running from the fullback position and a pass interception on defense.
- Honea Path 24 – Laurens 8… Meanwhile the Laurens Middle School Tigers traveled to Honea Path and unfortunately came up on the short end of 24-8 score… The Tigers only score came on a 60 yard pass play from Ty Rice to Trevor madden.
- Sanders 36 – Bell Street Red 28… Finally, Sanders jumped out to a 20-0 lead at the half and then had to hold on as the BSR team came back and Sanders held on for a 36-28 win… Troy Dendy had TD runs of 46 and 80 yards to pace the Yellow Jackets… Dendy also had a 20 yard scoring strike to Tye Foster… Foster was also on the receiving end of a 57 yard TD pass from Justin Anderson… Tye Foster had the last Sanders score when BSW attempted an on-sides kick which Foster scooped up and went 56 yards for the TD… Tye Foster and Troy Dendy accounted for any PATs made by sanders… Tobias Smith and Marquise Wise both had a pair of scores for the Wildcats and Kris Holmes and Smith each added a 2-point conversion.
- The Braves lost the first game of the NLDs 6-1 to the Dodgers last night in Atlanta… Next game is tonight and it will be on TBS about 6:00
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity Football at Broome 7:30
- Varsity Football at Woodmont 7:30
- Saturday: Volleyball @ Southside Christian Tournament
- Varsity Football @ WW King 7:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Spartanburg as the Red Devils will be taking on the Broome Centurions … Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to the stadium at Woodmont for all the action as the Raiders take on the Woodmont Wildcats… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and Mike Hughes will join him for color commentary while Coach Lewis Compton reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 99.5 or 102.9… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to Woodmont on Friday night… The cost will be $5.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.