- Cross Country: The CHS Cross Country team hosted five other Region 3-AAA in a cross country meet yesterday… According to Coach Lee Atkinson several of the Red Devil runners posted their best personal time… Some of those posting their personal best were Chandler Sprouse, Brittany Gates, Hunter Benson, Destiny Robinson and Hector Elizondo… In girls’ action, Clinton finished 4th behind Woodruff, Chapman and Union…. Hunter Benson had the best time for the Red Devils with a time of 22:50 which allowed her to finish second among all the young ladies just 7 seconds behind the number 1 finisher… In boys’ action, Clinton finished second behind a very strong Woodruff team… Chandler Sprouse had the lowest time among all the young men running and finished the course in 18:02… Click on the following link for complete match details: CC Meet at Clinton October 8, 2013 The team will be back in action next Tuesday at Woodruff.
- Lady Raider Golf Team Qualifies for Upper State Tournament… Yesterday the LDHS Girls Golf Team played in the Region I-AAAA Tournament at Cobbs Glenn CC in Anderson…. The team played fourth overall and qualified for the AAAA Upper State Tournament… The team score was 415…. It’s the first time the Lady Raiders have qualified as a team since the qualifier was added three seasons ago… The Upper State Tournament is Oct. 21 at Three Pines CC in Woodruff…. Coach Jim Iacuone stated “We played well today… Both Faith Word (107) and Brooke Davis (106) shot personal best scores today. We also got good rounds from Victoria Fleck (101) and Alexus Moore (101)… We played an 18- hole match on Sept. 26 with TL Hanna at Cobbs Glen and we dropped 17 strokes off that score. I think that experience really paid off for us today as far as being familiar with the course… The big goal for our team was to qualify for the Upper State Tournament this year. At points during the season I didn’t think we would accomplish that goal, but the girls stepped up and played much better in the second half of the season… I’m really proud that when it mattered the most they played their best” .. The team scores today were: Easley – 343, TL Hanna – 380, Hillcrest – 413, Laurens – 415, Greenwood – 454 and JL Mann – 470…. For the second year in a row, the individual Region Champion was Riley Lovorn of TL Hanna…. She shot 3 over par 75… Ashlee Richardson of JL Mann was the individual qualifier.
- Girls Tennis: Laurens 5 – Easley 2… The Lady Raider Tennis team took a 5-2 victory over Easley yesterday at the Laurens City Courts… Taking wins in singles action were Ally DeVuono, Bailey Rush, Kathleen Horner and Sara Kalyn Croker all picked up wins in singles action… The Raiders 5th win came in doubles action when Easley was forced to forfeit due to injury… It should be noted that the Raiders 2 loses all came in match tiebreakers… Before the match the team recognized their seniors Sara Kalyn Croker, Reagan Hall, and Brittany Horner… Now for more match details, comments from Coach Corley and the who the seniors’ favorite teachers were, click on the following link: 2013 Lady Raider Tennis Results
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Tennis host Broome 5:00
- WLBG – Thursday: This Thursday we plan on broadcasting the Bell Street Red at Hickory Tavern game live from Hickory Tavern …. Join me a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action as the Wildcats take on the Panthers Remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Chapman Panthers… It is also homecoming for the Red Devils… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Yellow Jackets of TL Hannah in a night of festivities as it is homecoming for the Raiders.… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side.
This & That:
Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 11th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Jerome Singleton, Commissioner of the South Carolina High School League… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.