- CHS 50 – Chapman 21… The CHS Red Devils put a complete game together last Friday night as they trounced the Chapman Panthers 50-21 in homecoming action at CHS…. The Red Devils wasted little time in getting on the scoreboard as Vee Thompson returned the opening kickoff to inside the Panther 10 and a couple of plays later Breshaud Parks scored from 9 yards out and with Matt Craven’s extra point the Red Devils led 7-0 and would never look back… The key to the victory was 6 turnovers by Chapman and none for the Red Devils… Panther QB Landon Collins was intercepted 5 times by the red Devil defense which they more often than not turned into points… Thompson, Craven, Dequan Dendy. Trey Gary and Michael Mann all recorded interceptions…. Parks had two more TD run on the night, one for 22 yards and another for 57 yards.. Shakeam Dowdy had a 1 yard TD run and Matthias Williams an 83 yard scoring run… Landon Allison completed two TD passes one for 29 yards to Tay Cook and another for 27 yards to Parks… Matt Craven made 5 extra points and added a 28 yard field goal… The only problem for the Red Devils was an unusually high number of penalties which caused 2 TDs to be called back….Clinton dominated most of the important statistics except for yard passing… For a look at the game statistics, click on the following link: Chapman at Clinton 10112013 The Red Devils will have their final regular season road game this Friday as they travel to Union to take on Union County High School…. By the way, Kallison Cook was crowned the 2013 CHS Homecoming Queen .
- LDHS 38 – TL Hannah 14… In another homecoming contest, the Laurens Raiders took a 38-14 win over the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets… The Raiders’ defense stepped up to plate and delivered limiting the Jackets to just 139 yards of total offense while the Raiders generated 373… Neither team scored in the 1st quarter but Laurens did get to the Hannah 9 where the drive stalled… After the defense then held and forced Hannah to punt, the Raiders got on the board a few plays later on a 24 yard pass from Quin Suber toe Quay Bunch, Irvin Angeles then made the first of his 5 PATs on the night… After forcing Hannah to punt on their next possession, Bunch returned the punt 40 yards to the Hannah 11… Suber carried it on the next play making it 14-0… Angeles added a 31 yard field goal before the half and Hannah scored with 1 second left in the half to make the score 17-7 at the half… Laurens opened the second half by going 64 yards with Suber scoring from the 7… Laurens overcame 2 penalties during the drive for the score…. Scott Grant then intercepted a Jacket pass on their next possession and 2 plays later Suber and Bunch connected again on a 58 yard scoring strike making it 31-7…Laurens next score came on the following Hannah possession when Thomas Jones intercepted his 4th pass in 3 games and returned it 25 yards for the score just before the end of the third period… Laurens substituted freely on both offense and defense the remainder of the game and Hannah picked up most its yards on the night in that period when they scored twice…. For complete game statistics click on the following link: Hanna at Laurens gamestats-10-11-13 For season statistics click on the following link: Laurens Season Combined Thru Week 7 At halftime, Jessica Ackerman was crowned the 2013 Homecoming Queen… Laurens will face Hillcrest at home this Friday night in HUGE game for the Region 1-AAAA lead as both teams are the only two undefeated teams in region play.
- Laurens Academy 40 – Fountain Inn Christian 24… In still another homecoming contest, Laurens Academy took a 40-24 win over Fountain Baptist last Friday night… Sorry no details on the game at this time but I can tell you that Emily Kingsmore was named the 2013 Homecoming Queen… Congratulations to her and all the other homecoming queens.
- St Josephs 35 – Ware Shoals 14… The Ware Shoals Hornets took a 14-13 lead into the locker room at halftime last Friday night but St Josephs scored 22 unanswered points in the second half to take a 35-14 win over the Hornets… Jaquan Hicks had a 55 yard TD run in the 1st quarter for the Hornets and Jeremy Hart added the PAT… Ware Shoals other score came in the 2nd quarter on a pick-six by Jaquan Abney with Hart again adding the PAT… Two lost fumbles did not help the Hornets’ cause.
Local Sports Schedule:
- None noted
- None Noted
- Volleyball host Richard Winn – Senior Night 5:00 / 6:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Union as the Red Devils will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… It is also homecoming for the Red Devils… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WPCC: Remember you can hear all the action as the Gamecocks travel to Tennessee to take on the Volunteer this Saturday… Pregame coverage starts at 11:00.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.