- Tennis: CHS 7 – Broome 0… well I need to do some catching up with girls tennis at CHS… Last Wednesday the Lady Red Devils hosted the Lady Centurions of Broome HS… It was another very successful day for the Lady Devils as they took a 7-0 win over the Lady Centurions… Mason Paige Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn, Sommer Lawton and Mary Beth Ferguson all took wins in singles action… Gambrell an Waldron teamed up to take a win as the #1 doubles team while the #2 doubles team composed of Lauren Dowdle and Rachel Lloyd also posted a win as the #2 doubles team… The Lady Red Devils are now 4-2 overall and 3-0 in region play
- Volleyball: CHS 3 – Chester 0… Also catching up on Red Devil volleyball, the varsity & JV squads traveled to Chester last Thursday night… It was a good ride home as both squads took victories… The varsity on 3-0 defeating Chester by set scores of 25-23, 25-14 and 25-22… The JVs won 2-0 by scores of 25-10 and 25-19… Congratulations to both teams.
- Tennis: LDHS 6 – Greenwood 1…. In girls tennis action last Thursday the Lady Raiders secured a spot in the upcoming playoffs with a 6-1 win over the Lady Eagles of Greenwood in Greenwood… In singles action, Sara Kalyn Croker, Kathleen Horner, Bailey Rush and Ally DeVuono all took wins… The doubles team composed of Moriah Campbell and Kambrea Gosnell took a victory as did the doubles team composed of Croker and Brittany Horner… The team record is now 8-4 in region play and have a chance to improve their playoff seeding as they face #2 JL Mann tonight at Mann and #3 Hillcrest at home on Thursday…. For complete match details, comments from Coach Corley and notes on JV action, click on the following link: 2013 Lady Raider Tennis Results … Congratulations to the team in securing the playoff spot.
- AP FBS Rankings: In case you missed it, the AP FBS football rankings that came out Sunday night had no change in the top 4 spots… Alabama, Oregon, Clemson and Ohio State were the top 4 in that order… Florida State moves up to # 5… The rest of the top 10 are LSU, Texas A&M, Louisville, UCLA and Miami (Fla.)…. South Carolina moved up to # 11
- Coaches FCS Poll: In the coaches FCS poll, North Dakota State (6-0) remains atop the poll…. Coastal Carolina is # 4 (6-0) while Wofford (4-2) continues to hold the # 12 spot and Charleston Southern at 7-0 is # 24
Local Sports Schedule:
- CC at Woodruff 5:00
- JV/V Volleyball host Woodruff 5:30/7:00
- Tennis host Woodruff 4:30
- Tennis @ JL Mann 5:00
- Volleyball @ Westside 6:30
Middle School Football:
- Hickory Tavern @ Laurens Middle 5:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Union as the Red Devils will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… It is also homecoming for the Red Devils… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WPCC: Remember you can hear all the action as the Gamecocks travel to Tennessee to take on the Volunteer this Saturday… Pregame coverage starts at 11:00.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side.
This & That:
- Raider Pink Out: At this Friday’s varsity football gave vs. Hillcrest, LDHS will be holding a Raider Pink Out Event in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month… We are asking everyone in the community to wear pink to the game to show their support.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.