- Girls Tennis: CHS 7 – Woodruff 0… The Lady Red Devils ran their region record to 7-1 last night with a 7-0 win over the Lady Wolverines of Woodruff at the CHS tennis courts… Mason Paige Gambrell, Gracie Waldron, Sela Vaughn and Sommer Lawton all picked up straight set wins in singles action… Allison Oxner also won in singles action but had to go a tiebreaker to do it as she won the first set but dropped the second set… Gambrell and Waldron teamed up to take a straight set win in doubles action as did Rachel Lloyd and Elizabeth Jones… The Lady Devils travel to Greenwood today to take on Emerald at the Greenwood CC.
- Truett Burns… Former CHS athlete Truett Burns was named the Big South special Teams Player of the Week for his performance last Saturday in Charleston Southern’s 25-17 win over VMI … Burns averaged 39.0 yards on his four punts at VMI with a long of 48, and he pinned the Keydets inside their 20-yard line three times, causing VMI to start drives at the 1, 11 and 15-yard lines.
Middle School Athletics
- Laurens Middle 42 – Hickory Tavern 24… There was one middle school football game last night and in that contest the Laurens Middle School Tigers took a 42-24 win over the Panthers of Hickory Tavern… The Tigers got on the board first on a 30 yard run by Carado Ray with Dre Mills adding the 2-point conversion… Laurens scored 3 more times in the first half once on an 11 yard run by Trevor Madden with Tye Rice adding a 2-point conversion and the second on a 43 yard run by again by T. Madden… The Tigers final score of the first half was set up by Carado Ray’s interception of a Panther pass that gave the Tigers the ball at the Panther 25 yard line… Two plays later Tye Rice scored from 7 yards out and Taj Neely added the 2-point conversion to make the score 30-0 at the half… Laurens scores in the second half were on a 34 yard run by Ray, a 45 yard jaunt by Keshawn Foggie … All of the Panthers’ scores came in the second half… Ryan Draper had a 10 yard TD run, Layton Mahon a 27 yard scoring run… Jalen Bragg also connected with Layton Mahon on scoring strike for HT for 53 yards and he also connected with Tucker Bednark on a 7 yard scoring play.
- In game 3 of the ALCS series in Detroit yesterday afternoon, Boson took a 1-0 win over Detroit on a Mike Napoli’s solo homer in the 7th inning… Boston leads the series 2-1
- Meanwhile in game 4 of the NLCS, the St Louis Cardinals took a 4-2 win over the Dodgers out in LA kat night to take a 3-1 lead in that series..
Local Sports Schedule:
- Tennis at Emerald 4:30
Middle School Football
- Belton @ Sanders 5:00
- WLBG: This Thursday we will be broadcasting the Bell Street Red at Gray Court-Owens middle school football here on Real radio 860 WLBG… Join us a couple of minutes before 5:00 as we bring you all the action from GCO… One important note: There is a chance of rain on Thursday and while they might play we might not be able to bring you the action if it is raining… There is no press box at GCO and as you know, water and electronics don’t mix well.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Union as the Red Devils will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… It is also homecoming for the Red Devils… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WPCC: Remember you can hear all the action as the Gamecocks travel to Tennessee to take on the Volunteer this Saturday… Pregame coverage starts at 11:00.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Rams of Hillcrest for first place in Region 1-AAAA..… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Raider Pink Out: At this Friday’s varsity football gave vs. Hillcrest, LDHS will be holding a Raider Pink Out Event in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month… We are asking everyone in the community to wear pink to the game to show their support.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.