Welcome this is your sports report and it’s brought to you by the Laurens County Speedway… Last weekend was the season finale out at the LCS so let’s recap action form those final main event races of the season….
- Crates… Dan Lawson took the lead on the opening lap and never gave it up thus insuring his second straight championship in the division… Chris Lyons was second and Dusty Eaves third.
- Front Wheel Drive… Shane Roberts crossed the finish line first in the final main event in the FWD… Michael Staton and Dustin Sloan were the next two across the finish line… Season champ Roger Wright finished 4th.
- Super Stock 4… Stacy Brock apparently won the final main event here… The reason I say apparently is that the second place finisher Ray Storay challenged the legality of Brock’s tires… Oh well… Season champ Brian Nelson finished 4th.
- Crates… Trent Ivey took the final main event in the crates and also won $200 in a Dash for Cash prior to that… Zach Mitchell and Colby Cannon rounded out the top 3… Season champ Terry Bullard finished 6th.
- Limited… Season champ Billy Rushton won the final main event in the Limited division and won $143 in a Dash for Cash… Deano Long was second and Bruce Bullard third.
- Special Races… They held two special Big Wheel Races one on Friday and the other on Saturday… On Friday, Colby Suber took the checkered flag and on Saturday Jason Clark took the win.
- Girls Tennis: Clinton 6 – Emerald 1… The Lady Red Devil Tennis team traveled down the road to Greenwood yesterday and defeated the Lady Vikings of Emerald 6-1… Gracie Waldron (6-0,6-1), Sela Vaughn (6-1, 6-0), Sommer Lawton (6-0, 6-0) and Allison Oxner (6-0, 6-0) all took straight set victories in singles action… Mason Paige Gambrell and Waldron teamed up to take an 8-6 victory in double action and Elizabeth Jones and Rachel Lloyd took a straight set victory (6-2, 6-4) in the other doubles action… The Lady Devils are now 9-4 on the season and 7-1 in region play… They will travel to Union County High for a match today as will the volleyball team.
- Cross Country… The Cross Country teams traveled to Woodruff back on Tuesday… The girls finished 5th just 4 points out of 4th place… Hunter Benson had the best time for the Lady Devils finishing 4th overall with a time of 23:56…. The boys’ team finished 3rd and Chandler Sprouse led the team finishing 2nd overall with a time of 18:37… Click on the following link for more match details: Cross Country – 10-15-13 The team will travel back to Woodruff for the Region Championship Meet next Tuesday Oct. 22nd.
Middle School Athletics
- Sanders 32 – Belton 16… The Sanders Yellow Jackets kept their perfect record in the Little River Conference as they defeated Belton 32-16 at the LMS field.. . Troy Dendy had a three long TD runs for the Yellow Jackets one of which was set up by Darian Norwood intercepting a Belton pass … Justin Anderson had a 41 yard TD pass to Ty Foster… Two-point conversions were added by Tye Foster, Dontavious Shumpert, Caleb Baumgartner and Jamison Smith.
- Dodgers 6 – Cardinals 4… St. Louis leads the NCLS 3-2
- Tigers 7 – Red Sox 3… The ALCS is tied at 2 games each.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV FB host Union 7:00
- JV/V Volleyball at Union 5:30/7:00
- Tennis at Union 4:30
- Tennis host Hillcrest 5:00
- Volleyball host Easley 6:30
- 9th Grade & JV Football @ Hillcrest 5:30 / 7:30
- Varsity Football host Oak Level Baptist of NC – Senior Night 7:30 Note Date Change
Middle school Football: games start at 5:00
- Honea Path @ Bell Street White
- Bell Street Red @ GCO : If not raining, will be broadcast on Real radio 860 WLBG
- WLBG: Today we will be broadcasting the Bell Street Red at Gray Court-Owens middle school football here on Real Radio 860 WLBG… Join us a couple of minutes before 5:00 as we bring you all the action from GCO… One important note: There is a chance of rain on Thursday and while they might play we might not be able to bring you the action if it is raining… There is no press box at GCO and as you know, water and electronics don’t mix well.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Union as the Red Devils will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… It is also homecoming for the Red Devils… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the Clinton at Abbeville game.
- WPCC: Remember you can hear all the action as the Gamecocks travel to Tennessee to take on the Volunteer this Saturday… Pregame coverage starts at 11:00.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Rams of Hillcrest for first place in Region 1-AAAA..… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Raider Pink Out: At this Friday’s varsity football gave vs. Hillcrest, LDHS will be holding a Raider Pink Out Event in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month… We are asking everyone in the community to wear pink to the game to show their support.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.