- Clinton 35 – Union County 14…The Clinton Red Devils made it two in a row as they took a 35-14 win over Union County in Union last Friday night…. The Red Devils took a 14-7 lead into the half time on runs by Matthias Williams of 15 and 2 yards for touchdowns…. Landon Allison connected with Shakeam Dowdy for a two-point conversion after the second touchdown… In the third quarter Landon Allison completed a 63 yard touchdown pass to Brett Burton… Union County also scored in the third quarter to make the score 20-14… Clinton scored twice in the fourth, once on an 11 yard pass from Landon Allison to Kendall Pitts with the two point conversion being added by Vee Thompson… The Red Devils last score came late in the fourth quarter on a 36 yard run by Williams… Matt Craven kicked the extra point… Clinton improves to 2-6 overall and 2-1 in the region… For complete game statistics, click on the following link: Clinton at Union Stats 10182013 The Red Devils will host the Chester Cyclones at Wilder Stadium this Friday night with a chance for the region championship still on the line.
- Hillcrest 56 – Laurens 14… In the space of a little under 4 minutes, Laurens went from being down 14-7 to Hillcrest to being down 42-7 before eventually losing 56-14 in region action KC Hannah Stadium last Friday night… The Raiders scored in the first possession of the game on a 17 yard pass from Quin Suber to Jacorius Sullivan… Irvin Angeles added the first of his 2 PATs of the night… Hillcrest scored twice to make the score 14-7 with just seconds to play in the first half when their quarterback broke off a 46 yard touchdown run with just 5 seconds left to play… Hillcrest then returned the opening kickoff of the third quarter for a touchdown… After forcing Laurens to punt, they then returned it 47 yards for a touchdown to make it 35-7… The Raiders then fumbled on the first play of their next possession which set up a short touchdown for the Rams making it 42-7… The Raiders tried to come back but two interceptions by Hillcrest stifled the comeback… The Raiders did get on the board one more time on a 14 yard pass from Quin Suber to Hammer Walker… Four complete games statistics, click on the following link: HILCREST AT LAURENS Stats10-18-13 The Raiders will travel to Anderson this Friday night to take on the Rams of Westside in an important region game…
- Volleyball : Late last week and this weekend the Lawrence Academy Crusader volleyball team participated in playoff action…. They defeated Clarendon Hall 2 to 1 and opening-round action… They then lost to Anderson Christian in second-round action…. They then defeated Andrew Jackson and third-round action to advance to play last Saturday morning… On Saturday morning the Lady Crusaders again defeated Clarendon Hall… Unfortunately for the Lady Crusaders their playoff action came to an end as they were eliminated by Wardlaw… Congratulations to the Lady Crusaders for making it that far in the playoffs!
Major League Baseball:
- The teams for the World Series were finally set this weekend when the Boston Red Sox took a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Saturday… On Friday night the St. Louis Cardinals took a 9-0 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers to punch their ticket to the World Series… The best of seven series will start this Wednesday night when the Cardinals travel to Boston to take on the Red Sox with first pitch scheduled sometime after 7:30.
Local Sports Schedule: None noted for today.
- WLBG: The Laurens 9th grade and JV football teams will be hosting the Westside Rams this Thursday night at KC Hannah Stadium… I hope you can make it out but if not, we plan on broadcasting the games on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. Join Mike Hughes about 5:30 and remember you can here all the action live streaming on the internet at WLBG.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Chester Cyclones… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.