Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 10-22-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for Tuesday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The Blue Hose football team picked up its second win of the season as they defeated VMI 49-35 in Big South Conference play… PC will host Point in a Homecoming matchup this Saturday… For a complete wrap-up of last Saturday’s game, click on the following link: PC 49 – VMI 35 10-19-13… By the way, The College Football Performance weekly awards were announced today and Stephen Doar (Landrum, S.C.) was named FCS National Punter of the Week Honorable Mention, while Jeremiah McKie (Simpsonville, S.C.) was named FCS National Kickoff Returner of the Week for their success on the field this past Saturday in the 49-35 win over VMI…. For more information on this, click on the following link: Doar & McKie Honored by CFPA
- Girls Tennis: CHS 6 – Union 1…. Yesterday the Lady Red Devil Tennis team defeated Union County by a score of 6-1… Gracie Waldron (6-0, 6-0), Sela Vaughn (6-4. 6-3), Sommer Lawton (6-2, 6-4) and Allison Oxner (6-3, 6-0) all took wins in singles action… Mason Paige Gambrell lost her first set 2-6 but rebounded to take the second set 7-6 (7-2) before falling in the third set tie-breaker 10-2…. Gambrell and Waldron teamed up to take a win (8-2) in double action while Elizabeth Jones and Rachel Lloyd also took a win as the #2 doubles (6-2, 6-4).
- Girls Golf: Yesterday the Lady Raiders played in the AAAA Upper State Qualifier at Three Pines CC in Woodruff… Laurens finished 13th with a season best team score of 403…. Victoria Fleck led the Raiders with a personal best score of 93… Alexus Moore shot 99, Makayla Rykard had a personal best of 103, and Brooke Davis shot a 108… The team score of 403 was a 12 stroke improvement from the Region tournament two weeks ago…Coach Jim Iacuone stated “I was really pleased with how we played today. The last three weeks of the season this girls really focused and played well. I think the season was an overall success. We met our biggest goal for the season which was qualifying for Upper State…The top 8 teams and top three individuals from non-qualifying teams from this tournament go on to the State Tournament next week at Willow Creek GC in Greer…Click on the following to see the final result for all teams in the match: 2013 AAAA Upper State Girls Golf Congratulation to the Lady raiders on their success this season.
- Volleyball: Late last week and this weekend the Lawrence Academy Crusader volleyball team participated in playoff action…. They defeated Clarendon Hall 2 to 1 and opening-round action… They then lost to Anderson Christian in second-round action…. They then defeated Andrew Jackson and third-round action to advance to play last Saturday morning… On Saturday morning the Lady Crusaders again defeated Clarendon Hall… Unfortunately for the Lady Crusaders their playoff action came to an end as they were eliminated by Wardlaw… Congratulations to the Lady Crusaders for making it that far in the playoffs!
College Football Rankings
- BCS: The first BCS rankings came out late Sunday and they show the top 5 spots occupied by Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Ohio State and Missouri…. The second 5 are Stanford, Miami (Fl.), Baylor, Clemson and Texas Tech… South Carolina came in at #21.
- AP: The AP poll came in a little different than the BCS rankings… The top 5 in it are Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State and Missouri…. Spots 6-10 are occupied by Baylor, Miami (Fl.), Stanford, Clemson and Texas Tech… South Carolina was 20 in the AP poll.
NFL: In case you did not stay up late enough to see the end of Monday Night Football last night, the NY Giants defeated the Minnesota Vikings 23-7.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Tennis Host Chapman 4:30
- JV & varsity Volleyball host Chapman 5:00
- Cross Country @ Woodruff in Region Championship Meet 5:00
- WLBG: The Laurens 9th grade and JV football teams will be hosting the Westside Rams this Thursday night at KC Hannah Stadium… I hope you can make it out but if not, we plan on broadcasting the games on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. Join Mike Hughes about 5:30 and remember you can here all the action live streaming on the internet at WLBG.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Chester Cyclones… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.