- Cross Country… The Region 3-AAA Cross Country Region Championship Meet was held at Woodruff High yesterday and Broome HS swept the meet finishing first in both the boys and girls portions on the meet…. In girls’ action, the finishing order after Broome was Woodruff, Chapman, Union, Clinton (5th just 2 points behind Union and Chester last… Seventh grader Hunter Benson finished 3rd overall and qualifies for the All-Region Team… Better news in the boys’ completion as Clinton finished 3rd behind Broome and Woodruff with Chapman, Union and Chester finishing in that order behind the Red Devils… Chandler Sprouse finished 2nd overall and Austin Nobles 6th which means they made the All-Region Team…. The Upper State meet will be held at Hillcrest on November 2nd… Congratulations to these Red Devils.
- Tennis: The Lady Red Devil Tennis team defeated Chapman yesterday in Clinton… Sorry but I don’t have any other details at this time…. Check back later at my sports report online to see if I get them.
College Football Rankings
- BCS: The first BCS rankings came out late Sunday and they show the top 5 spots occupied by Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Ohio State and Missouri…. The second 5 are Stanford, Miami (Fl.), Baylor, Clemson and Texas Tech… South Carolina came in at #21.
- AP: The AP poll came in a little different than the BCS rankings… The top 5 in it are Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State and Missouri…. Spots 6-10 are occupied by Baylor, Miami (Fl.), Stanford, Clemson and Texas Tech… South Carolina was 20 in the AP poll.
Major League Baseball:
- The teams for the World Series were finally set this weekend when the Boston Red Sox took a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Saturday… On Friday night the St. Louis Cardinals took a 9-0 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers to punch their ticket to the World Series… The best of seven series will start tonight when the Cardinals travel to Boston to take on the Red Sox with first pitch scheduled sometime after 7:30… The probable starters are; for St Louis Adam Wainwright RHP who has a season record of 19-9 and 2-1 in postseason… He brings has an ERA of 2.94 in the regular season and 1.57 in postseason… For the Red Sox; Jon Lester LHP who has a season record of 15-8 and season ERA of 3.75… In postseason he is 2-1 with an ERA of 2.33… The game can be seen on Fox.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Volleyball team @ Hillcrest in matches with Hillcrest and Woodmont 6:30
- Girls’ tennis host Hillcrest in makeup of match cancelled last Thursday…5:00 at Laurens City Courts.
- WLBG: The Laurens 9th grade and JV football teams will be hosting the Westside Rams this Thursday night at KC Hannah Stadium… I hope you can make it out but if not, we plan on broadcasting the games on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. Join Mike Hughes about 5:30 and remember you can hear all the action live streaming on the internet at WLBG.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Chester Cyclones… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to Westside High School for all the action as the Raiders take on the Rams of Westside in Region 1-AAAA action..… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7… By the way, Laurens will have a fan bus going to Westside on Friday night… The cost will be $6.00 and the bus will leave the school at 6:00 pm… This does NOT include the cost of the ticket once you get to the game… Call 682-9117 to make your reservations.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday October 25th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.