- Clinton 42 – Chester 21… The Red Devils made it three in a row last Friday night as they defeated the Chester Cyclones 42-21 at Wilder Stadium… Clinton led 7-6 at the end of the 1st quarter on a 3-yard TD run by Breshaud Parks and Matt Cravens extra point but then but 20 points on the board in the 2nd quarter and never looked back… In the 2nd period, Matthias Williams had a 42 yd. TD run… Landon Allison then connected with Brett Burton on a 57 yd. TD pass and Parks had another TD run this time it was a 4-yard run…. The last drive was set up by a Tay Cook intercepting a Chester pass…. In the second period, Matt Craven made 2 of 3 extra points… The Cyclones struck 1st in the 3rd period making the score 27-13 Red Devils on top…..Clinton responded on the next possession when Shakeam Dowdy scored on a 3 yard run with Craven adding the extra point… The Cyclones added 8 points in the final quarter… The Red Devils immediately responded on their next possession as they went 55 yards and scored on a 3-yard TD run by Vee Thompson… Blaine Wilbanks then hit Hunter Stewart for the 2-point conversion to make the final score 42-21… Clinton’s defense continued its improvement as it has over the last 3 games and Matt Craven recorded an interception for the Red Devils… Dowdy finished the game with 176 yards to lead the Clinton rushing attack that saw 8 different players carry the ball…. Clinton dominated most of the statistical categories and if you would like to see them, click on the following link: Chester at Clinton 10252013… The Red Devils clinched a playoff spot with the win and will host Woodruff this Friday night with 2nd place and a possible home playoff game on the line… It will also be Senior Night.
- Laurens 28 – Westside 27… A young sophomore player named Irvin Angeles who had never kicked a football before the start of this season found the fate of the Raiders on his left foot Friday night and he responded with a 34-yard field goal as the clock struck 0:00 to give the Raiders a 28-27 win over the Westside Rams in Anderson last Friday night…. Angeles’ field goal capped a 54-yard drive that started with 1:58 left in the game where the Raiders had to go the distance with no timeouts left… Quin Suber guided the Raiders down in 10 plays to and on 4th down and 10 at the Westside 17 with just 14 seconds left the Raiders got the field goal team on the field just in the nick of time for Angeles to win the game… The Raiders trailed 17-11 at the half as fell behind early and managed on a safety, A 17-yard TD pass from Toby Jackson to Quay Bunch and a 30–yard field goal by Angeles in the opening half… Jackson had another TD pass of 24 yards to Hammer Walker in the 3rd quarter win Angles adding the PAT making the score 18-17 Raiders…. Westside scored later in the 3rd quarter to make it 24-18 Rams… The Raiders responded on their next drive scoring on an 11-yard run by Suber… Angles again added the PAT making it 25-24 Raiders… The Rams added a field goal with 1:00 left in the 3rd quarter to make it 27-25 Rams going into the final period… Both teams then swapped possessions until the final drive capped by Angeles’ kick… Even though the Raider offense led in most of the stats, they seemed to be about a “half-step” out of sync at times during the game… They only converted on 4 of 7 Red-Zone Chances… Quin Suber led the Raiders in rushing with 108 yards in 20 attempts while Toby Jackson led them in passing with 11 0f 23 attempts completed for 120 yards… For more statistics on the game, click on the following link: Laurens at Westside 10-25-13… For season stats, click on the following link:Laurens season Combined-Week 9…. The Raiders will host JL Mann this Friday in their final regular season home game where they will be honoring their seniors.
- Charleston Colligate 76 – Laurens Academy 44…. The Crusaders played their final game of the season in Charleston last Friday as they faced Charleston Collegiate… Unfortunately the Crusaders came up on the short end of a 76-44 score… Sorry no other details available at this time… The Crusader were originally scheduled to play at home next week but the opponent has forfeited the game… With the forfeit, the Crusaders will finish 6-4 on the season.
MLB: World Series
- Saturday: Cardinals 5 – Red Sox 4… Back on Saturday the St Louis Cardinals took a 5-4 win over the Boston Red Sox in St. Louis…. For the first time in the history of the World Series the winning run scored on an obstruction call… Third-base umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Sox 3rd-baseman Will Middlebrooks obstructed the Cards Allen Craig at third and even though he was out at home he was safe by rule.
- Sunday: Boston 4 – Cardinals 2… A 3-run homer by red Sox first baseman Jonny Gomes in the 6th inning as the Sox defeated the card 4-3 Sunday night in St. Louis… The series is now tied at 2 games each with the 5th game tonight in St. Louis.
Local Sports Schedule: none noted
- WLBG: Laurens Middle Scholl and Sanders will face off in their annual football game in what always proves to be an exciting football at KC Hannah Stadium this Wednesday… I hope you can make it out but if not, we plan on broadcasting the games on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. Join Mike Hughes about 5:30 and remember you can hear all the action live streaming on the internet at WLBG.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Woodruff Wolverines…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will be playing for a possible home game in the first round of the playoffs next week… It is also Senior Night.… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Mike Ayers, Head Coach of the Wofford Terriers… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.