Justin Bethel on NFL Pro Bowl Ballot: The National Football League has unveiled its 2014 NFL Pro Bowl Ballot and former Presbyterian College football player Justin Bethel appears for voting as a special teams player…. Bethel, currently in his second year in the NFL playing for the Arizona Cardinals, has made eight tackles–seven solo–playing primarily on kickoff and punt return coverage…. Fans can begin voting to select players for the 2014 Pro Bowl, presented by McDonald’s, the NFL announced last week. Voting is available online and on web-enabled mobile phones by going to 2014 NFL Pro Bowl Ballot… Two special teams players from the fan ballot will travel to the Pro Bowl. Voting is unlimited….Bethel can be found under the “Special Teams” tab and the position “Special Teamers (ST).”
Local sports: None to report
- BCS Rankings: There were a few changes in the BCS ranking this week… The top 4 remain the same: Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State…. Stanford moves up a spot to #5… The next 5 are Baylor, Miami (Fla.), Clemson, Missouri and Oklahoma… South Carolina checks in at #14.
- AP Poll: There were a few differences in the AP poll this week…. Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State, and Baylor were the top 5 vote getters…. The balance of the top 10 are Stanford, Miami (Fla.), Auburn, Clemson and Missouri…. South Carolina polled 14th.
- FCS Rankings: In the FCS division, the top 3 teams remain the same as last week; North Dakota State, Eastern Illinois and Coastal Carolina…. Wofford dropped to 16th, Charleston Southern moved up to 18th and Samford to 19th.
MLB: World Series
- Saturday: Cardinals 5 – Red Sox 4… Back on Saturday the St Louis Cardinals took a 5-4 win over the Boston Red Sox in St. Louis…. For the first time in the history of the World Series the winning run scored on an obstruction call… Third-base umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Sox 3rd-baseman Will Middlebrooks obstructed the Cards Allen Craig at third and even though he was out at home he was safe by rule…. The win put the Cards up 2-1 in the best-of-7-series.
- Sunday: Red Sox 4 – Cardinals 2… A 3-run homer by red Sox first baseman Jonny Gomes in the 6th inning as the Sox defeated the card 4-3 Sunday night in St. Louis… That tied the series at 2 games each.
- Monday: Boston 3 – St. Louis 1…last night the Boston Red Sox took a 3 games to 2 lead over the St. Louis cardinal as they defeated the Red Birds 3-1 in St. Louis… The Sox scored 2 runs in the top of the 7th to back a 1-1 tie…. The series goes back to Boston on Wednesday with the red Sox needing just a single win to take the crown.
Local Sports Schedule:
- The Red Devil tennis team will host Camden in first round Class AAA playoff action today at the Red Devil tennis courts… The action is slated to get started at 4:30 so if you can go on over and support the Lady Red Devils…. Good luck to Coach Simmons and the team.
- The Lady Raider tennis team also made the Class AAAA playoffs but unlike Clinton they will start their quest ion the road… They will travel down I-26 to take on Irmo in a match scheduled to start at 5:00… Good luck to Coach Corley and the team.
- WLBG: Laurens Middle School and Sanders will face off in their annual football game in what always proves to be an exciting football at KC Hannah Stadium this Wednesday… I hope you can make it out but if not, we plan on broadcasting the games on Real Radio 860 WLBG…. Join Mike Hughes about 5:30 and remember you can hear all the action live streaming on the internet at WLBG.com
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Woodruff Wolverines…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will be playing for a possible home game in the first round of the playoffs next week… It is also Senior Night.… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.