Middle School Football
- Bell Street Red 20 – Bell Street White 6….In a game that pitted friend against friend at Wilder Stadium last night, the BSR team took a 20-6 win over BSW… The game was a defensive struggle the first half as it was scoreless until the 3rd quarter when Tobias Smith scored in the opening possession of the half on a 44 yard run… BSW turned the ball over on their next 2 possessions as Taylor Bailey intercepted 2 passes… Each interception set up a BSR score as Smith again scored on a long run of 61-yards and Marquise Wise after the 2nd interception on a 42-yard TD run… . Jordan Davis connected with Jarrett Varn for a short TD pass to prevent the shutout…. BSR ends the season finishing 2nd in the Little River Conference with a conference record of 6-1 while BSW ends the season with a 1-6 record.
- Gray Court-Owens 36 – Hickory Tavern 12… Cross-county rivals the Hickory Tavern Panthers and the Gray Court-Owens Tigers met at Gray Court last night in their annual season ending game… W-hen the final horn sounded, GCO had taken a 36-12 win over HT… The Tigers quarterback Josh Adams gave the Panthers defense problems all night as he had a pair of TD passes to Josh Greene… Kydale Milton also had a pair of TDs when he was able to sweep around the Panthers defense… Tae Anderson also added a rushing TD for GCO…. Ryan Draper had a TD run of just over 20 yards for the Panthers and Tucker Bednark had a short TD run also for HT….. GCO finishes the season 3-4 in conference play and 5-4 overall while HT finishes 1-6 in conference play.
- Sanders 38 – Laurens Middle School 8… The Sanders Yellow Jackets capped off a perfect season last night at KC Hannah Stadium with a 38-8 win over the Laurens Middle School Tigers using a potent offense and a swarming defense. … LMS got the ball first on the opening kickoff and started at their own 6 yard line. After three running plays the Tigers faced a fourth down and two-yards to situation which they did not convert as the Sanders defense swarmed the runner for a loss. On the first play from scrimmage, Troy Dendy carried the ball 14 yards for the score. Justin Anderson then connected with Ty Foster in the endzone for the 2-point conversion making it 8-0 Sanders with 5:22 left in the first quarter… Laurens was held to negative yardage on their next possession and fumbled a fourth down attempt which was recovered by Sanders DeAndre Leake at the LMS 29 yard line. However Sanders fumbled on the first play from scrimmage and it was recovered by the Tigers’ Milek Mosely at the Laurens 21 yard line. On the first play from scrimmage the Tigers fumbled and it was scooped up by Tye Foster for Sanders who returned it 18 yards for the score. Foster then added two more points on a run to make it 16-0 with 2:36 left in the first period… LMS then had one of their better drives of the day as they moved from their own 44 yard line down to the Sanders 28 before turning the ball over on downs at the 29 yard line…. It took just six plays for Sanders to score again on a 55 yard run by Dendy. Anderson again connected with Foster adding two points making it 24-0 with 2:41 left in the half… On the third play from scrimmage in their next possession, LMS quarterback Trevor Madden was sacked and fumbled before he hit the ground with Sanders recovering at the Laurens 39 yard line. Just four plays later Caleb Baumgardner scored from the 3 yard line and added the two-point conversion making it 32-0 Sanders with just seconds left in the half…. Sanders opened the scoring in the second half as they scored in the opening possession of the half on a six yard run by Deon McGowan. The extra point failed making it 38-0…. Neither team seemed to be able to mount much of an offensive threat in the remainder of the third quarter due to miscues. For example, Kyshun Barksdale intercepted a Sanders pass for Laurens only to have the Tigers fumble it back to Sanders on the next play and then four plays later Sanders fumbled it back to Laurens… It was that last Sanders fumble that gave the ball back to LMS late in the game that set up their only score of the night. On a fourth down and six yards to go, Laurens substitute running back Shy’Kori Grant took the pitch and then pulled up and completed a 65 yard scoring pass to Keshawn Foggie who had slipped behind the Sanders defense. The two-point conversion was added and the score stood 38-8 Sanders and that would be the final score of the game… Sanders went 7-0 on the season in Little River Conference play claiming the championship while Laurens Middle School finishes 4-3 on the season.
Tanner Adair Selected for North-South All-Star Game…. Laurens District 55 High School senior defensive lineman Tanner Adair was selected for the 2013 Touchstone Energy Cooperative Bowl. He will be one of eight-eight athletes who have been chosen to play in the 66th annual all-star game on December 14th in Myrtle Beach…. On learning of Adair’s selection to the roster Laurens Coach Greg Lawson commented on what an honor to be picked to this team and he was proud of Tanner for what he has accomplished both on field and off the field. He also noted that Tanner was a total team player who led by example not only on the field at game time but also at practice and in off-season workouts. He further pointed out that in an eight-team region like ours (Region 1-AAAA) with lots of all-star caliber players in it that he was only one of three from the region to be selected…. For more information about the game and a complete roster, click on the following link: Tanner Adair Selected to North Congratulations to Tanner!
- Boston 6 – St. Louis 1… Well I dare say that I bet not many if any of you sports fans can remember the last time the Boston Red Sox won the World Series because it was 95 years ago back in 1918… Well they finally broke the long drought as they defeated cardinals 6-1 in game 6 of the series up in Boston to win the series 4-2… They scored 3 runs in the third and fourth inning and never looked back.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Girls Tennis will host Southside in Round 2 of the state Playoffs at 5:00 pm
- JV Football @ Woodruff 6:00
- 9th Grade and JV Football @ JL Mann 5:30 / 7:30
- Middle School Football @ Newberry Academy 6:00
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Woodruff Wolverines…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will be playing for a possible home game in the first round of the playoffs next week… It is also Senior Night.… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.