Local Sports Results:
- Girls Tennis: Southside 4 – Clinton 2…. The Lady Red Devils hosted the Lady Tigers of Southside yesterday in 2nd round Class AAA tennis actions…. The Lady Tigers were rude to their host as they took a 4-2 win thus ending the Lady Red Devils’ season… Clinton’s victories came at the #5 singles spot where Izzy Worley took a straight set victory (6-1, 6-1) ) and from the #2 doubles team composed of Elizabeth Jones and Rachel Lloyd where they also took a straight set win (6-1, 6-1)… The Lady Red Devils appearance in postseason play marked at least the 10th consecutive season that the team has been involved in post-season play, not a bad streak at all… Congratulations to the team on another fine season!
- JV Football: Clinton 38 – Woodruff 14…. The Clinton JV football team ended its season last night up in Woodruff with a 38-14 win over the Wolverines… Clinton set the tone early forcing Woodruff to fumble the opening kickoff and recovering it…. Shortly thereafter Kevious Hunter scored on a 10 yard run in what would be the first of 3 TDs on the night…. Hunter also added the 2-point PAT making it 8-0…. Later he scored on a 65 yard run and again added the 2-point PAT making it 18-0… With seconds remaining in the half, Donovan Benson connected with Chandler Todd on a 50 yard pass play to Clinton the ball at the Woodruff 9…. Hunter then carried it in from there for his 3rd TD… Benson connected with Tra Jones for the 2-point conversion to make it 24-0 at the half… Clinton only had the ball for 3 times in the second half but scored on 2 of them… In their first possession, Coco Richey scored on a 10 yard run and added the 2-point conversion… Woodruff then scored making it 32-8 but Clinton responded with Tyshamen Boyd scoring on a 65 yard run… Coach Wofford said after the game” It was a great way to end the season in a game where everyone got to play and they all played well.”… Clinton finishes the season at 6-4 winning 5 of their last 6…. Great job by Coach Wofford and the JV team this season!
- JV Football: JL Mann 14 – Laurens 7…. The Raider JV football team traveled to JL Mann last night and for only the second time this season the lost this time by a score of 14-7… Laurens trailed 7-0 at the half and their only score came on a TD run by Chuck Johnson… Coach Dailey said after the game that the game was basically a defense struggle with Mann making just a couple of more key plays than the Raiders did.
- 9th Grade Football: Laurens 18 – JL Mann 12 in OT…. Now there was better news in the 9th grade football game that took place before the JV game in that the Raiders took an 18-12 win over the Patriots in overtime… DQ Floyd started the Raider scoring on a 47 yard TD run in the 2nd quarter… There was no further score by either team until the 4th quarter when Mann returned a punt 45 yards for the score to tie the game 6-6 with about 4 minutes left to play… The Raiders responded on their next series when Floyd rumbled for 60 yards to make the score 12-6 Raiders… Mann tied the game 12 -12 on a 25-yard pass play with about a minute to go in regulation… In the last possession by the Raiders in regulation, they fumbled at midfield with Mann recovering the ball… Brayln McBeth then intercepted a Mann pass in the endzone to send the game to overtime… In the overtime, McBeth again intercepted a pass to stop Mann’s scoring attempt…. On their 2nd play from scrimmage in overtime, Floyd scored untouched from the 7 to win the game… After the game Coach Dale Nelson wrote “(The) offensive lineman Hunter Medlin, Summi Carlay, Dustin Ritchie, Daniel Blackshire, and Jonathan Stewart had their best game as a unit against a 7-1 JL Mann team. The entire defense played well all night”
Other High School Scores From Last Night in varsity Action:
- Greenwood 36 – Westside 13
- Ware Shoals 32 – Dixie 6… Ware Shoals secured the Region 1-A title last night with a 32-6 win over Dixie…. The Purple Hornets amassed 368 rushing yards with Juwan Abney getting 133 of those yards… Ware Shoals finished the regular season 5-5 and 3-0 in region play and will begin playoff action next Friday at home against a team yet to be determined
Local Sports Schedule:
- Varsity Football host Woodruff – Senior Night 7:30
- Saturday: Cross Country @ Hillcrest in Upper State Finals
- Varsity Football host JL Mann – senior Night 7:30
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 tonight as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the Woodruff Wolverines…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will be playing for a possible home game in the first round of the playoffs next week… It is also Senior Night.… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to KC Hannah Stadium for all the action as the Raiders take on the Patriots of JL Mann in Region 1-AAAA action..… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.