Local Sports Results:
- Cross Country…. The CHS Cross Country team participated in the Upper State Qualifier on Saturday in Simpsonville at Hillcrest High… The boys and girls team faced some very strong completion and did not quite qualify for the state meet… The closest individual on the boys’ team to making it to state was senior, Austin Nobles. Is 49th place finish was 4 places out of qualifying…. However 7th Grader, Hunter Benson, qualified as an individual to run at the State Meet and Sandhills Research Park next Saturday for the girls…. Click on the following is more information from Coach Lee Atkinson including team photos: Clinton Competes in Cross Country Upper Sate Qualifier For more details on the meet, click on the following link: http://sc.milesplit.com/meets/154009/results/275760
- Clinton hosts AC Flora…. A quick reminder now about the game this Friday night at Clinton where the Red Devils host AC Flora in first round Class AAA playoff action… The tickets to the game will be $7.00 each and only those passes issued by the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) will be honored… That means if you bought a season ticket for CHS football you will still have to pay $7.00 to get in…. Sorry folks, this is a SCHSL rule and all schools have to follow… One bit of good news, the Season Parking Passes will be honored.
College Football Rankings
- AP Poll: There was no change in the top 6 places in the AP poll this week when compared to last week…. Alabama, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State, Baylor and Stanford occupy those spots in that order… Auburn, Clemson, Missouri and LSU all moved up a spot to occupy spots 7-10… South Carolina moved up 1 spot to # 13 and Miami (Fl.) dropped from 7 to 14.
- BCS: This week’s BCS rankings had a few more changes than the AP Poll… Alabama is still #1 but Florida State moved up to 2nd while Oregon dropped to 3rd… Positions 4-6 remain the same and are occupied by Ohio State, Stanford an Baylor in that order… Clemson and Missouri both moved up a notch with Clemson coming in at #7 and Missouri # 8… Auburn jumps from 11 to #9 while Oklahoma remains #10… Miami (Fl.) drops from 7 to 11 and South Carolina moves up from 14 to 12.
- FCS: In the Football championship division the top 3 are the same as last week: North Dakota State, Eastern Illinois and Coastal Carolina… The only other “local” teams in the top 25 are Wofford at #15 and Charleston Southern at 16
College Football Players of the Week:
- ACC: The Clemson quarterback-receiver duo of Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins has earned Atlantic Coast Conference football weekly honors for last weekend’s performances… Boyd was named the ACC Offensive Back of the Week for the third time this year after throwing for 377 yards with three touchdowns and running for another in Clemson’s conference road win at Virginia. Watkins, who hauled in eight catches for 169 yards and a pair of touchdowns, was cited as the ACC Receiver of the Week. Boyd and Watkins connected on a 96-yard touchdown pass in the third period, the second longest offensive play in Clemson history… Clemson’s Watkins was named ACC Receiver of the Week for the second consecutive week and for the third time this season.
- SEC: University of South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton has been selected as the Southeastern Conference’s Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday… Hampton, a 5-10, 202-pound junior from Darlington, S.C., was outstanding all afternoon in the Gamecocks’ 34-16 win over Mississippi State on Saturday. He was credited with a season-high eight tackles, including six solo stops. He logged three pass break ups, and forced and recovered a fumble. He also deflected a pass that was intercepted. The Gamecock defense forced five Bulldog turnovers on the afternoon, the most since forcing five against East Carolina on Sept. 8, 2012…. Hampton becomes the sixth Gamecock to earn SEC honors this season, joining Clayton Stadnik (offensive lineman – Vanderbilt), A.J. Cann (offensive lineman – UCF), Connor Shaw (offense – Missouri), Kelcy Quarles (defensive lineman – Missouri) and Elliott Fry (special teams – Missouri).
Local Sports Schedule: none noted
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the AC Flora Falcons in first round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 4-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tonight for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.