NASCAR: Well there are only 2 races left on the NASCAR schedule so things are getting serious in regards to point standings and the chase for the cup… The NASCAR gang visited the Texas Motor Speedway last weekend so let’s take a quick look back at the how things went down
- Nationwide Results: Brad Keselowski led 106 of 200 laps and took the win in the nationwide race on Saturday… The rest of the top 5 were Denny Hamlin, Sam Hornish Jr., Matt Kenseth and Austin Dillon..
- Nationwide Standings: The driver standings in the Nationwide Series shows very little change from last week… Austin Dillon is in 1st place with 1107 points but he only leads Sam Hornish Jr. by 6 points… The balances of the top 5 are Regan Smith, Elliot Sadler and Justin Allgaier.
- Sprint Cup: In Sprint Cup action on Sunday, Jimmy Johnson pretty much dominated the field to take the win… Dale Earnhart Jr. finished 2nd, Joey Lagoon 3rd, Matt Kenseth 4th and Kasey Kahne 5th.
- Sprint Cup Standings: With the win in Texas, Johnson broke the tie that had existed with Matt Kenseth… With 2 races to go, Johnson is now 7 points ahead of Kenseth… Kevin Harvick is 40 points behind Johnson, Kyle Busch 52 points behind and in 5th place Dale Earnhart Jr. 62 points behind the leader… Looks like it’s going to be close in these last 2 races.
College Football Players of the Week:
- ACC: The Clemson quarterback-receiver duo of Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins has earned Atlantic Coast Conference football weekly honors for last weekend’s performances… Boyd was named the ACC Offensive Back of the Week for the third time this year after throwing for 377 yards with three touchdowns and running for another in Clemson’s conference road win at Virginia. Watkins, who hauled in eight catches for 169 yards and a pair of touchdowns, was cited as the ACC Receiver of the Week. Boyd and Watkins connected on a 96-yard touchdown pass in the third period, the second longest offensive play in Clemson history… Clemson’s Watkins was named ACC Receiver of the Week for the second consecutive week and for the third time this season.
- SEC: University of South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton has been selected as the Southeastern Conference’s Defensive Player of the Week, the league office announced Monday… Hampton, a 5-10, 202-pound junior from Darlington, S.C., was outstanding all afternoon in the Gamecocks’ 34-16 win over Mississippi State on Saturday. He was credited with a season-high eight tackles, including six solo stops. He logged three pass break ups, and forced and recovered a fumble. He also deflected a pass that was intercepted. The Gamecock defense forced five Bulldog turnovers on the afternoon, the most since forcing five against East Carolina on Sept. 8, 2012…. Hampton becomes the sixth Gamecock to earn SEC honors this season, joining Clayton Stadnik (offensive lineman – Vanderbilt), A.J. Cann (offensive lineman – UCF), Connor Shaw (offense – Missouri), Kelcy Quarles (defensive lineman – Missouri) and Elliott Fry (special teams – Missouri).
- Big South: Former Clinton High star Kenny Cook was had a big day last Saturday as he 179 yards receiving on 8 catches in Gardner-Webb’s 51-14 win over Warner University… Among those 8 catches were 2 TD receptions of 25 and 52 yards… For this, he was named College Sports Madness Big South Conference Offensive Player o the Week…. Congratulations to Kenny.
Wilder Stadium Renovation Meeting
- Clinton High School fans need to mark your calendar for Thursday, November 14 at 6:00 pm… Why?… That is when former Red Devil Coach Keith Richardson will be leading a meeting about the proposed improvements to Wilder Stadium… The meeting will be held at Wilder Stadium and it is open to the public and there is no admission fee… The meeting is to help educate Red Devil fans about what is being proposed to renovate the historic stadium and how you can help… Again it is at 6:00 pm at the stadium on Thursday the 14th…. All Red Devil fans should make plans to attend!
Local Sports Schedule: None noted
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 8th at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the AC Flora falcons in first round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 4-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to Greenwood for all the action as the Raiders take on the Eagles of Greenwood High in the final regular season game… A win should give the raiders a home playoff game next week while a loss means we will most likely be on the road…Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.