Local Sports Results:
- 9th Grade Football: Laurens 38 – Greenwood 7… The Raider 9th grade football team wrapped p their season last night at KC Hannah stadium with a 38-7 win over the Greenwood Eagles.. The Raiders did all of their scoring in the first half as they raced out to a 38-0 lead… DQ Floyd scored first for the Raiders on a 10 yard run and Colton Leroy added the 2-point conversion to make it 8-0… Colton Leroy and Floyd later connected on a 40 yard scoring pass with Josh McGowan adding the 2-point conversion… McGowan then connected with Brayln McBeth on a 25 yard scoring pass with Floyd adding the conversion… The defense than scored on a 40 yard fumble return by Jayln Walker and with Floyd again adding the conversion putting the Raiders up 30-0…Floyd added the Raiders last score on a 20-yard TD run and McGowan added the conversion to close out Laurens’ scoring… They used a running clock in the final half and Greenwood did get on the board late… Coach Dale Nelson said it probably the most complete game of the year for the team and he singled out the defense and offensive line for their work last night… The team finished the season 6-3.
- JV Football: Greenwood 26 – Laurens 15… Now the news was not quite as good in the JV game last night because the Eagles took a 26-15 win over the Raiders… The score was 20-0 at the half but the Raiders did not give up as they fought to the end scoring their points in the 4th quarter… In that period the Raiders mounted a text-book drive led by Graydon Hamby and scored on a 3-yard run by Chuck Johnson… Irvin Angeles added the PAT… The Raiders other score came on a pick-6 interception by KT Abney and with the 2-point conversion made the final 26-15 Eagles… Coach Dailey said it just seemed like every time the Raiders would get something going some sort of miscue would crop up to stop them… He still expressed pride in the way the team played… They also end their with a 6-3 record… Congratulations to both teams on a fine season!
Local Sports Schedule:
- Clinton host AC Flora: Clinton will host the AC Flora Falcons in first round playoff action tonight at 7:30… Both teams come into the game with a 4-7 record and they finished 3rd in their region… Flora’s losses have been to White Knoll (8-14), Gilbert (41-43), Bluffton (31-37 in OT), Camden (33-34), Chapin (18-19) and Westwood (17-34)… Their wins have been against Columbia (40-15), Airport (24-10), Lower Richland (58-8) and Dreher (49-18)… Note 5 of their losses are by 7 points or less… I hear they tend to run power football very similar to the Red Devils.
- Laurens at Greenwood… Laurens travels to Greenwood tonight to take on the Eagles in their last regular season game… A lot is on the line as the Eagles and Raiders are playing for second place in the region and an almost guaranteed home game in the first round of the playoffs next week… There is a fan bus leaving LDHS at 6:15 and the cost to ride is only $5.00… Call the transportation office now to reserve you spot… The number is 682-9117.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be today at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speaker will be Kyle Kallander, Commissioner of the Big South Conference… It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Wilder Stadium as the Red Devils will be hosting the AC Flora falcons in first round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 4-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to Greenwood for all the action as the Raiders take on the Eagles of Greenwood High in the final regular season game… A win should give the Raiders a home playoff game next week while a loss means we will most likely be on the road…Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 95.7.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.