Local Sports Results:
- Clinton 55 – AC Flora 35… For the second week in a row, the Red Devils fumbled during their initial possession and the opponent converted that for a score to go up 7-0 early in the game but the Red Devils did not let that bother them as they went on to take a 55-35 win over the AC Flora Falcons at Wilder Stadium… Clinton responded on their next possession and tied it on a 10 yard run by Matthias Williams… Clinton scored later to make it 14-7 on a 1 yard run by Shakeam Dowdy with Landon Allison adding a 2-point conversion…The Falcons later scored to make it 14-14 at the end of the first quarter… Clinton added 3 scored in the 2nd quarter to make the score 35-21 at the half… In 2nd quarter Shakeam Dowdy scored twice once on a 20 yard run and the second time on a 21 yard run… Williams picked up his 2nd TD on a 67 yard jaunt… Flora picked up the first score of the 2nd half but Clinton answered with 2 scores a 7 yard run by Williams a 1 yard run by Dowdy…. Each team tacked on a score in the final quarter and Clinton’s came when Dowdy scored for the 5th time of the night on a 4 yard run… Dowdy ended the night with 205 yards rushing and Williams 159… Williams now has over 1000 yards for the season and Dowdy more than 900… Click on the following for more game statistics: AC Flora vs Clinton Stats 11082013 The Red Devils will carry a 5-game winning streak up to the Clemson area this Friday night as they face-off against the tough Daniel Lions in second round action in the Class AAA playoffs.
- Greenwood 13 – Laurens 10 in overtime… Sometimes the best team does not always win and even Greenwood Coach Gene Cathcart admitted his Eagles were outplayed by the Raiders after last Friday night’s contest but none the less the Eagles took a 13-10 win over the Laurens Raiders in overtime at Pinky Babb Stadium in Greenwood… Greenwood scored first on a 41 yard pass play where the raiders just missed knocking the receiver out of bounds after a short gain… Later in the 1st quarter Quay Bunch recovered an Eagle fumble and Laurens drove to the Greenwood 14 before having to settle for a 37 yard field goal by Irvin Angeles… Laurens had a 10-7 lead going into the locker room at halftime After a 47 yard drive ended with a 14 yard TD run by Quin Suber with Angles adding the PAT… The game went back and forth with Laurens pretty much holding Greenwood at bay but not able to sustain an offense due to miscues… The Eagles tied the game midway through the final quarter on a 27 yard field goal… Laurens won the toss at the start of overtime and elected to play defense… The defenses held the Eagles to a field goal making it 13-10 with the Raiders yet to get their crack at the goal… After 3 rushing plays netted negative yardage, Laurens lined up or a 34 yard field goal but the snap was low and rolled on the ground which prevented Laurens from getting the kick off and giving the Eagles the win… Click on the following link for game statistics: Laurens at Greenwood game stats 11-8-13 Laurens will travel to North Augusta this Friday night to take on the Yellow Jackets.
Local Ceremony Note:
- Lou Brissie Field Dedication… : I want to remind of the Lou Brissie Field dedication today in Ware Shoals at the high school baseball field at 11:00 am… One note to add to what I reported last Thursday…. Mr. Brissie himself will not be able to attend due his being admitted to the Veterans Hospital in Augusta due to a heart condition that has set him back recently… The organizers will be streaming the ceremony back to Mr. Brissie in the hospital so he can see it live…. They invite you to come to honor not only this veteran but al the others he stands for on Veterans day.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Clemson as the Red Devils will be taking on the Daniel Lions in 2nd round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 5-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza Tuesday night for the Coach Greg Lawson Show… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.