Local Sports Results:
- Hunter Benson Finishes 80th…. Clinton’s Hunter Benson competed in the state cross country meet last Saturday at the Sandhills research park just outside Columbia… The 12-year-old young lady was competing against other athletes 5 and 6 years older than her but still managed to run the best time of her career 21:47 putting her in 80th place overall… Coach Lee Atkinson stated “She is an amazing young lady. It must have been tough out there on the course running against 17 and 18 year olds, but she handled at well”… There is a picture of Hunter and her teammates Brittany Gates and Audrey Atkinson online on my sports report for today…. Congratulations to Hunter on her fine showing this year
College Football Rankings:
- AP Rankings…. After previously unbeaten Oregon loss last weekend, there was some shakeup in the AP football poll this week….Alabama continues to hold down the top spot but teams for through six moved up one spot each… Florida State is #2, Ohio State #3, Baylor #4, and Stanford comes in at #5… Not Oregon drop down to sixth place and is followed by all Auburn, Clemson, Missouri, & Texas A&M…. South Carolina is ranked # 11 this week.
- BCS… Similarly the latest BCS standings also show some shakeup Alabama and Florida State continue to hold down the top two spots… Not Ohio State, Stanford, and Baylor round out the top 5….Oregon dropped to sixth followed by all Auburn, Clemson, Missouri and South Carolina to round out the top 10.
- FCS… In the Football Championship Subdivision North Dakota’s State, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington make up the top 3… Coastal Carolina dropped from third to ninth after their loss to Charleston Southern last weekend which checks in at # 12… Wofford in which lost to Chattanooga last weekend stays in the top 25 at #21
- Braves to get New Stadium…. Big news coming out of Atlanta yesterday as the Braves announced they will be building a new stadium in time for the 2017 season…. The proposed site, in Cobb County approximately 14 miles northwest of Turner Field on the northwest corner of the I-75 and I-285 intersection, will be surrounded by hotels, restaurants, retail outlets and other entertainment options…. Although specific financial details were not revealed, the Braves said they are “putting a significant financial investment” into the construction of the stadium, which will cost approximately $672 million and include somewhere in the neighborhood of 41,000 seats…. Turner Field, which is owned by the City of Atlanta, has always been a problem to get to because of traffic and lack of parking… This and the need for renovations are the main reasons cited by the Braves for seeking a new home….The Braves lease on Turner Field will be up at the end of the 2016 season….No name or logo changes are anticipated when they moved to the new park.
Lou Brissie Dedication: Yesterday as part of a larger Veterans Day Celebration held in Ware Shoals in Riegel Stadium, the Mayor of Ware Shoals the Honorable John Hansen proclaimed that 11-11-2013 as Lou Brissie Day in the Town of Ware Shoals and the Ware Shoals School District 51 named the high school baseball field the Lou Brissie Field in honor of their local hero… While Mr. Brissie himself could not be there due to his health his wife and family were there and he sent a taped message to the assembled well-wishers.. For more about Mr. Brissie see my sports report for 11-7-2013…. I also have a short video of part of the dedication ceremony….
Local Sports Schedule: None Noted
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Clemson as the Red Devils will be taking on the Daniel Lions in 2nd round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 5-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to join Coach Greg Lawson and Mike Hughes at the House of Pizza tonight for the final Coach Greg Lawson Show of the season.… The show will start at 7:30 and run until about 8:30… Join them as they talk about the last week’s game and the upcoming game as well as other topics.… The House of Pizza will have a couple of specials and one of them is 55₵ wings.… Remember that we do stream all local sporting events live on the internet at WLBG.com
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.