College Football Rankings:
- AP Rankings…. After previously unbeaten Oregon loss last weekend, there was some shakeup in the AP football poll this week….Alabama continues to hold down the top spot but teams two through six moved up one spot each… Florida State is #2, Ohio State #3, Baylor #4, and Stanford comes in at #5… Oregon drop down to sixth place and is followed by all Auburn, Clemson, Missouri, & Texas A&M…. South Carolina is ranked # 11 this week.
- BCS… Similarly the latest BCS standings also show some shakeup Alabama and Florida State continue to hold down the top two spots… Ohio State, Stanford, and Baylor round out the top 5….Oregon dropped to sixth followed by all Auburn, Clemson, Missouri and South Carolina to round out the top 10.
- FCS… In the Football Championship Subdivision North Dakota’s State, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington make up the top 3… Coastal Carolina dropped from third to ninth after their loss to Charleston Southern last weekend which checks in at # 12… Wofford in which lost to Chattanooga last weekend stays in the top 25 at #21
College Basketball… Well college basketball kicked off the season last weekend and let’s do some catching up on some of the local schools men’s teams:
- PC Men… Last Friday night PC Men’s team started its season with a 88-57 los to Georgia Tech in Atlanta… Last night William Truss and Reggie Dillard recorded career-highs to lead the Presbyterian College men’s basketball team back from a 16-point second-half deficit to within two late, before eventually falling to The Citadel, 82-68 in Charleston, S.C.PC falls to 0-2, while The Citadel wins its first of the season to go to 1-2. PC next heads to Winston-Salem, N.C., Friday, Nov. 15, for a 7 p.m., contest at Wake Forest.
- Clemson Men… Last Friday night Clemson men’s basketball team opened their season with a 71-51 win over Stetson… K.J. McDaniels had a game high 20 points to lead the Tigers… The 1-0 Tigers host Delaware State tonight at 7:00 and will host the Gamecocks of south Carolina at 5:00 on Sunday
- South Carolina Men… The Gamecocks opened their season last Saturday in Columbia as they defeated the Longwood Lancers 82-44… Junior guard led Ty Johnson led all scorers with 18 points… Yesterday the Gamecocks traveled to Waco, Texas to face the #23 ranked Baylor Bears…. Carolina fell just short losing 66-64 missing a pair of shots in the final seconds and was fouled on the last put-back attempt but the officials determined the foul occurred after time expired… As mentioned before their next game will be Sunday against Clemson and can be seen on ESPN 3.
Local Sports Schedule: none noted
This & That:
- Daniel Tickets on Sale Tickets for Friday night’s 2nd Round 3A Playoff Game – Clinton at Daniel can be purchased at Clinton High School until Friday at the end of school. Tickets are $7.00 each…. Remember that kickoff is scheduled for 7:30.
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Clemson as the Red Devils will be taking on the Daniel Lions in 2nd round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 5-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to North Augusta for all the action as the Raiders take on the Yellow Jackets… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 89.9 or 97.3…. I’ll find out which one is better once I get there.
- Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.