Local Sports Announcements:
CHS: A couple of reminders from Clinton High School:
- Daniel Tickets…. First a reminder that tickets for tomorrow night’s game in Central with Daniel are on sale at the Clinton High Main Office… Tickets are $7.00 each and are on sale during normal office hours… They will be on sale through the end of school tomorrow…. I’d get them now and not stand in line up there tomorrow night if I were you.
- Wilder Stadium Meeting… Tonight the Wilder Stadium Improvement Fund will be holding an informational meeting at 6:00 pm… It will take place in the stadium on Richardson Field… The public is invited and highly encouraged to attend this meeting to find out about the plans for renovations and enhancements to this focal point of CHS athletics
- There will be a fan bus leaving LDHS tomorrow at 5:15 heading to North Augusta where the Raiders will be taking on the Yellow Jackets in the first round of the Class AAAA – Division II Playoffs… The cost for the ride only is $7:00 and space is limited on a first-come-first-serve basis… If you would like to get your name on the list, call 982-9117… Remember you will still have to purchase a ticket once you get there… The team would like to see a large crowd from Laurens there and if you can’t drive down, this is an excellent way to follow them.
NASCAR: Well NASCAR is down to 1 week to go so let’s look back at the Sprint Cup Race last Sunday and check the standings:
- Advocare 500… last Sunday out in Arizona Kevin Harvick took the checkered flag in the Advocare 500…Kasey Kahne, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhart Jr. and Kurt Busch rounded out the top 5… Matt Kenseth who was just behind Johnson in the Chase for the Cup finished 23rd.
- Standings… After the results of last week’s race, Jimmie Johnson now has a 28 point lead over Matt Kenseth… Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Dale Earnhart Jr. round out the top 5… All Johnson has to do is finish 23rd or better to secure the championship… I don’t suppose none of those “good old boys” would do anything to knock him out early.
- Trevor Bayne has MS… The Roush Fenway Racing driver and former Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, but the team announced Tuesday that the 22-year-old has been cleared by doctors to continue to compete in NASCAR…. Bayne has undergone testing at the Mayo Clinic, the same institution where he was examined repeatedly in 2011 for what the driver believed was Lyme disease, which sidelined him for two months that season… Multiple sclerosis is a more serious, less predictable disease of the central nervous system which interrupts the flow of information between the brain and the rest of the body, and symptoms can range from numbness and tingling to paralysis in extreme cases.
- Men’s basketball… Clemson held Delaware State to just 14 second half points and matched its best scoring defense output under Head Coach Brad Brownell in a 58-37 victory Wednesday at Littlejohn Coliseum. The Tigers moved to 2-0 with the win, while the Hornets fell to 1-2 after the loss.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Women’s basketball host NC Central - 7:00 pm
- Women’s basketball host College of Charleston – 8:00 pm
- Football host Georgia Tech – 7:30 on ESPN, Last conference game for the Tigers
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- WPCC: Be sure to join Buddy, Jimmy, Jason and BJ at 6:45 Friday night as they get you ready for all the action from Clemson as the Red Devils will be taking on the Daniel Lions in 2nd round action in the Class-AAA playoffs…. A lot will be on the line as the Red Devils will shooting to extend their 5-game winning streak… Also, don’t forget to join them Saturday morning at 8:00 for the Saturday Morning Rewind Show live from Whitefords of Clinton… They will review all the local high school action from the night before and have one the CHS Red Devil coaches on hand to discuss Friday night’s game… They will also talk about college action on Saturday… Then stay tuned at 9:00 am for an encore presentation of the previous night’s game.
- WLBG: Be sure to tune into the Friday Night Insider Show with Mike Hughes as your host at 5:30… He will have interviews with the coaches from Laurens Academy, Ware Shoals High and Clinton High about their game Friday night… He will also have the one and only Elmo P. Arbagoogle and his ”predications” of local high school and college contest… Then at 6:05 we will join Stan Olenek for his high school pregame show… After Stan, we will have Stanley’s Stinkers where Stanley tells us who is going to lose…. We will then go live to North Augusta for all the action as the Raiders take on the Yellow Jackets… Doug Holiday will do the play-by-play and King Dixon will join him for color commentary while Mike Hughes reports from the side lines and Philip Dean will bring you all the statistics… Be sure to take your FM radio and pick us up on the in-stadium transmitter at 89.9 or 97.3…. I’ll find out which one is better once I get there.
Internet rebroadcast of Laurens game… WLBG will also rebroadcast this Friday night’s game on Saturday morning at 7:00 am and again Sunday at 2:00 pm on the internet only… It will not be rebroadcast at 860 am on your radio… You must go to www.wlbg.com and click on the “Listen Live” link just under the top of page banner on the right side..
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.