Blue Hose Basketball
- The Blue Hose had a basketball double-header yesterday at the Templeton Center and in the first game the women took a 96-40 victory over Columbia College… The Lady Blue Hose had 4 players in double digits with Keyonna Allen leading the team with 15 points… Later the men’s team also picked up their first win of the season as they defeated Tacco Falls 86-76… Jordan Dowling led PC with 21 points.. . Both the men and women are now 1-3 on the season and the women will take on South Carolina State in Orangeburg on Thursday while the men will be in Norfolk, Va. on Thursday to take on Old Dominion.
College Football Notes
Honors and Awards:
- Presbyterian College defensive back Kenyon Brown a CHS graduate was named the Big South Freshman of the Week for his performance against Coastal Carolina last Saturday… Brown led PC’s defensive unit at Coastal Carolina with a career-high 13 tackles in his first career start. He recorded 11 solo stops and added a tackle-for-loss of two yards. Brown’s previous high was four tackles in the season opener at Wake Forest.
- University of South Carolina placekicker Elliott Fry has been selected as the SEC Freshman of the Week for his performance in the Gamecocks’ 19-14 win over Florida on Saturday, it was announced yesterday… He was successful on 4-of-5 field goal attempts and accounted for 13 of the Gamecocks’ points in the win. He connected on field goal attempts of 25-, a career-high 45-, 22- and 43-yards. The 22-yard attempt came midway through the fourth quarter and put the Gamecocks on top for the first time in the game. His 43-yarder in the final few minutes provided the final margin of victory…
- Clemson junior receiver Martavis Bryant a Calhoun Falls native was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week… Bryant recorded a career-high 176 receiving yards on five catches to lead Clemson in last Thursday night’s 55-31 win over Georgia Tech. It marked the most receiving yardage by a Clemson player this season and the fifth-most yards in school history. Bryant caught a 76-yard scoring pass from Tajh Boyd in the second quarter that gave Clemson a 27-7 lead. The play contributed to his 35.7 yards per catch average for the evening.
- By the way, did you hear that the Clemson at South Carolina game this year will start at 7:00 pm and will be televised on ESPN2
- AP Poll…. There was just a little bit of shake-up in the AP Poll after previously #5 Stanford lost to USC 20-17 last Saturday… The top five spots are now occupied by Alabama, Florida State, Baylor, Ohio State and Oregon… The rest of the top 10 are Auburn, Clemson now # 7, Missouri, Texas A&M and Stanford… South Carolina dropped a spot to #12 despite beating Florida.
- BCS… Likewise, there was a little bit of movement in the BCS standings… Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State continue to hold down the top 3 spots… Baylor and Oregon come in #4 & #5 respectively… The next 5 are Auburn, Clemson, Missouri, Stanford and Oklahoma State… The Gamecocks come in at #11.
- FCS… The top 3 in the FCS remain the same; North Dakota State, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington in that order… Coastal Carolina moved up from #9 to #7 this week… Charleston Southern checked in at #16 while Wofford dropped out of the top 25 after its loss to App. State last Saturday.
- Panthers 24 – Patriots 20… The Carolina Panthers made it 6 in-a-row as they defeated the New England Patriots 24-20 in Charlotte last night… The Panthers scored the go-ahead score on a 25 yard pass from Cam Newton to Ted Ginn with 59 seconds left in the game and then held on as Tom Brady almost pulled it off on the last play of the game…. The 7-3 Panthers are now just a game behind the New Orleans Saints in the in the NFC South.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.