- Allison Oxner Signs to Play Softball at Berry College… Yesterday CHS senior Allison Oxner signed a letter of intent to attend Berry College just outside Rome, Georgia and play softball for the Vikings…. Oxner batted .350 last season for the Lady Red Devils collecting 20 hits in 57 at-bats… She also had 3RBIs and 13 walks… She also represented the Red Devils on the All-Region 3-AAA team last season… She also played tennis for CHS… She has high hopes of being able to start in centerfield for the Vikings… Click on the following link to see an interview done with her after the signing; Video Interview Link
- Cody Smiley Signs with Francis Marion… Also yesterday LDHS senior Cody Smiley signed a letter of intent to continue his education and play baseball with the Francis Marion Patriots… Cody is a .402 career hitter with the Raiders and batted .388 last season with 33 hits… In the 3 years he has played on the varsity, Cody has struck out only 8 times and just once during the past season… Cody has been a member of the All-Region 1-AAAA team the past 2 seasons…. He hopes to be able to crack the Patriots lineup next year as a third baseman… Click on the following link to see an interview done with Cody after the signing: Video Interview Link
NASCAR: The NASCAR season ended over the weekend so let’s do a quick recap of the final race results and standings:
- Nationwide… In the final Nationwide race of the season down in Homestead, Fl. last Saturday Brad Keselowski picked up the win… The rest of the top 5 were Kyle Larson, Kyle Busch, matt Kenseth and Trevor Bayne… Final Standings… The final points total shows that Austin Dillon finished just 3 points ahead of Sam Hornish Jr. in the Nationwide Driver Standings… Regan Smith, Elliot Sadler and Justin Allgaier round out the top 5.
- Sprint Cup… On Sunday in the final Sprint Cup race, Denny Hamlin took the checkered flag with Matt Kenseth, dale Earnhart Jr., Martin Truex Jr. and Clint Bowyer being the next 4 racers to cross the finish line behind him… Final Standings… In that race, Jimmy Johnson finished 9th which was more than enough to give his 6th NASCAR Championship in 8 years… This puts him just 1 behind Richard Petty and the late Dale Earnhart who have 7 each… By the way, Matt Kenseth finished 2nd just 18 points back of Johnson and Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Dale Earnhart Jr. rounded out the top 5.
- Marcus Latimore… Marcus Latimore has been cleared by doctors to practice with the San Francisco 49ers yesterday… He will be able to participate in a special 3 week practice period and is not expected to be activated to the 49ers 53 man roster this season.
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The next meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club will be Friday November 22nd at Lakeside Country Club at noon… In addition to the local high school coaches recapping games from the last two weeks they will also bring their standout players from those games… Coach Harold Nichols of PC is also scheduled to be there also bringing players and recapping the recent Blue Hose games… The featured speakers will be will Merritt Clemson football color commentator and Todd Ellis Voice of the Gamecocks. … It is not too late to join the club… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Basketball: The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department is also registering youth for their youth basketball program… There will be 3 age appropriate groups available… The cost is $30 and the deadline to register is December 2nd… Registration can be done at their office at the Little River Park during normal business hours… For more information call 681-7275 or email email@example.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.