Local sports Results:
High School Playoff Results
- Class A Div. II: Hunter-Kinard-Tyler scored 14 points in the 1st quarter and rolled on to a 26-8 win over Timmonsville to capture the state championship at Benedict College last Friday.
- Class AA Div. I: Christ Church captured the Class A Div. I championship on Friday and extended their winning streak 40 games with a 28-21 victory over Carvers Bay also at Benedict College last Friday… All the scoring was done in the first half of play.
- Class AA Div II: Batesburg-Leesville edged Chesnee 34-33 to set up the championship game this Friday at 5:30 at Benedict College with Silver Bluff.
- Class AA Div. I: Fairfield Central defeated Cheraw 37-13 to set up the championship game also at Benedict this Friday at 8:30 against Dillon
- Class AAA: Daniel edged Chapman 29-27 and will face Myrtle Beach in Williams Brice Stadium at 3:00 pm this Saturday for the AAA championship.
- Class AAAA Div. II: Stratford defeated South Pointe 36-13 and Northwestern defeated North Augusta 49-21 to set up a noon showdown at Williams Brice for the championship this Saturday.
- Class AAAA Div. I: Sumter edged Summerville 28-27 and Dutch Fork defeated Byrnes 31-21 to set up a 6:00 pm contest Saturday at Williams Brice for the championship.
- FCS Playoffs: Furman defeated SC State 30-20 in Orangeburg and will travel to top ranked North Dakota State this Saturday for a 3:00 pm contest…. Meanwhile Coastal Carolina defeated Bethune-Cookman 48-24 and will be on the road taking on #8 Montana Saturday.
- South Carolina 31 – Clemson 17: I think that al Gamecock fans out there will agree with what Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier said after last Saturday night’s game in that Clemson is a good team that just does not play well against Carolina and the 6 turnovers by the Tigers and none by the Gamecocks proved to be the difference in South Carolina’s 31-17 win over Clemson… Connor Shaw definitely was the better quarterback in the game that night… Now I refuse to be one of those Carolina fans that keep pointing out that no one on the Clemson football team knows what it feels like to beat Carolina, go around giving their Clemson friends a high-five signifying 5 in-a-row or asking them if they know how to say something long time Carolina fans learned many years ago “wait until next year”….No I will not rub it in… I’ll let a small smile and a handshake do that.
- With Alabama’s loss to Auburn on Saturday there was some shakeup in the BCS standings… Florida State moved up a spot to #1 followed by Ohio state, Auburn, Alabama and Missouri… Spots 6-10 are now occupied by Oklahoma State, Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor and Michigan State… Clemson checked in at # 13…. Florida and Ohio State are the only unbeaten teams in the top 10.
- Tomorrow WLBG will be broadcasting the Laurens at Clinton basketball games starting about 5 minutes to 6:00. .. Join Dr, Rhett Harris and myself as we bring you all the action from the CHS gym and remember we do stream live on the internet at www.wlbg.com
- Then this Thursday WLBG will start our broadcast of middle school basketball as the sanders Yellow Jackets host the Bell Street Red Wildcats… We will start the broadcast a few minutes before 5:00 aand of course we will stream it live at www.wlbg.com.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball teams at Laurens 6:00
- JV basketball host Clinton 6:00
- MS basketball at Greenwood Christian 4:00
- Varsity basketball at Greenwood Christian 6:00
Middle School Basketball: All start at 5:00
- Sanders at Hickory Tavern
- Laurens at Bell Street Red
- Belton at Gray Court- Owings
- Bell Street White at Honea Path
This & That:
- Laurens County Touchdown Club… The final meeting of the Laurens County Touchdown Club for this season will be the Annual Banquet on Wednesday December 4th at Lakeside Country Club … During this meeting the All-County Team will be announced as well as Coach of the Year and Player of the Year… The featured speaker will be will be Danny Ford former coach of the Clemson Tigers.. … Tickets for the banquet may still be available for $15 each… Call Marlene Owen at 833-2716 for more information.
- Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run… The Laurens YMCA will hold the 14th Annual Reindeer Run on Saturday, December 14, 2013. The event will feature a 5K walk/run and a kid’s 1-mile fun run… For more information about it including a link to the registration site, click on the following link: Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run Info
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at email@example.com… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Basketball: The City of Laurens Parks and Recreation Department is also registering youth for their youth basketball program… There will be 3 age appropriate groups available… The cost is $30 and the deadline to register is December 2nd… Registration can be done at their office at the Little River Park during normal business hours… For more information call 681-7275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.