CHS: Clinton traveled to Newberry on Friday night to take on the Bulldogs.
- Girls: NHS 46 – CHS 33… Last Friday night the Lady Red Devils were outscored 27-10 in the first half of action down at Newberry and found it just too much to come back from as they fell to the Lady Bulldogs 33-46…Coach Wofford noted that they did play much better in the second half and hope that the team will build on that… Maleaka Neal let the Clinton 17 points… Others scoring for the Red Devils were: Trevoria Dendy 5, Bredashia Walls 4, Chyna Davis, Tamia Sanders 2 and 1 point each for Denaisha Floyd and Ticambrius Copeland…. Click on the following link to see more game statistics: NHS (CHS)-12_6_13
- Boys: NHS 86 – CHS 59…. Not much better use in the boys’ game as the red Devils fell to the Bulldogs 59-86… No Clinton player scored in double digits, but 3 players. Score 8 points each; Jayln Carter, Dee Goggins and Ian Kinard… Also scoring were Tay Cook & Nike Davis 7 each, Shakily Smiley 6, Shakeam Dowdy & RJ Robinson 4 each, Jay Fuller & Tymori Tribble 2 each and DY Young 1
- JV Girls: NHS 25 – CHS 23… When I brought you the sports report last Friday morning, I did not know the score of the girls JV game on Thursday night… Since then I have found out to that the Lady Red Devils lost in the final minutes to Newberry by a score of 23-25… Clinton led by five at the start of the fourth quarter but went cold from the floor and free-throw line… The leading scorer for the Lady Red Devils was, MK Kelly with 8 points… Also scoring was: Asia Cunningham 7, Brooke Baker 4, and Shauna Goforth and Tydatertris Longshore 2 each.
LDHS: the Laurens Raiders travel to Union County High School and varsity action last Friday night while the JV’s hosted Union County
- Varsity Girls: UCHS 54 – LDHS 52… In girls action, the Lady Raiders had a slow first half and trailed by 13 at the intermission and found it just too much to recover from as they fell 54 – 52 to the Lady Yellow Jackets… Coach Yoneko Washington lamented her team’s poor defense in the first half of play which did improve in the second half… Kiya Burnside led the Lady Raiders with 10 points… Others scoring were Kela Daniels & Shannon Williams with 8 each, KC Cofield & Jadasia Bennett 5 each, Bre Nance & Jessica Johnson 3 each and Michaela Evans & Kalah Gary 2 each.
- Varsity Boys: LDHS 74 – UCHS 56… It was better news for the Laurens boys as they took a 74-56 win over the Yellow Jackets… They also suffered from a slow start leading by only two points at the end of the first quarter, but were able to control the game using a pressure defense… The Raiders had three players scoring in double digits they were: Davon Boyce 19, Kezario Whitmore15 and Toby Jackson 14… Also scoring were E’Nicholas Leake 8, Ladarius Williams 6, Jordan Sargent and Chuck Johnson 4 each, LaJune Jones 3, and Chris Statom 1…
- JV Girls: LDHS 34 – Union County High School 13… Note: the Lady Raider JV team is now 2-0 on the season
- JV Boys: LDHS 58-33… Note: the boys JV team is 4-1 on the season.
Laurens Academy: Catching up on Laurens Academy games from last Thursday night at home against Oakbrook
- Girls: LA 27 – Oakbrook 23 in OT… Kayla Mitchell had 13 point to lead the Lady Crusaders… Also scoring were: Taylor Williams 5, Kaitlyn Muir 4, Caroline Verdin 3 and Cassidy Crowder 2…. Record 1-2
- Boys: Oakbrook 63 – LA 51… The Crusaders had 2 players in double-digits… They were Matthew Urwick 18 and Chase Brewington 11… Also scoring were Nathan Tyson 8, Robert Williams 7, Samuel Moore 4 and Ryan Holmes 3… Record 1-2
College Football Bowls: college football bowl selections were made yesterday and I’ll have all the bowls and their schedules for you on my sports report tomorrow… But at this time. I’ll give you 3 of local importance:
- # 1 Florida State will take on #2 Auburn in the Vizio Bowl on Jan. 6th in Pasadena, Ca. in an 8:30 pm contest which can be seen on ESPN.
- #12 Clemson will take on #7 Ohio State in the Discover Orange Bowl in Miami on Jan. 3rd at 8:30 pm and which will be on ESPN.
- #9 South Carolina will face #19 Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fl. at 1:00 pm and that will be televised on ABC.
Local Sports Schedule:
- Middle host Cambridge 4:00
- Varsity host Southside Christian 6:00
Middle School Basketball: Girls start at 5:00
- Sanders @ Belton
- Bell Street Red @ Honea Path
- Laurens Middle @ Gray Court-Owings
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street White: can be heard on Real Radio 860 WLBG.
- Our next middle school broadcast will be today as we travel to Clinton where the Bell Street White Wildcats will host the Hickory Tavern Panthers… We will start our broadcast just a few minutes before 5:00 from the main gym at the old CHS…. Reminder we do stream live at www.wlbg.com
- Our next varsity broadcast will be tomorrow as we come to you live from the main gym at LDHS as the Raiders will be hosting the Union County Yellow Jackets… Dr. Rhett Harris and Mike Hughes will start the broadcast about 5:55. Again, remember it also will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- On Friday Dec.13th the CHS @ LDHS basketball games at LDHS will be broadcast on Sports Radio 1410 WPCC…. Now we would like for to go out and support your favorite team on Friday but if you can’t join Buddy, Jimmy and Jason as they bring you all the action live from the main gym at LDHS at about 5:45… I’ll also remind you that the game will be streamed live at www.wpcconline.com.
This & That:
- Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run… The Laurens YMCA will hold the 14th Annual Reindeer Run on Saturday, December 14, 2013. The event will feature a 5K walk/run and a kid’s 1-mile fun run… For more information about it including a link to the registration site, click on the following link: Laurens YMCA Reindeer Run Info
FYI / Community Interest:
- Basketball & Cheerleading: Registration is now open for Youth Basketball and Cheerleading which will start December 19th… There will be age appropriate groupings for youth ages 5-12 in basketball and for grades K5-6th grade for cheerleading… You can register at the reception desk during normal Y business hours… Pre-registration is required and you must register by Thursday December 12th… Click on the following link for much more information about the basketball and cheerleading programs or call the Y at 833-1555.: Clinton YMCA Basketball and Cheerleading 2013-14
- Laurens YMCA: Basketball: Registration is now open for youth basketball at the Laurens YMCA… The season will begin January 6th, 2014 and the registration deadline is December 15th… There will be age appropriate groups for youth ages 3 – 15… You can register at Member Services during normal business hours or contact Josie Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org… For more complete information click on the following: Laurens YMCA Basketball 2013-14 If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.