Local Sports Results:
CHS: Last Friday night the CHS Red Devils hosted the Broome Centurions in Region 3-AAA action.
- Girls: BHS 52 – CHS 32… The Lady Red Devils managed to keep the game close in the first half of play as they trailed only by 5 at the half (22-17) but Broome’s Jada Wallace hit 20 of her 30 points in the second half as Broome took a 52-32 win over Clinton in the first game… Coach Wofford was pleased with the team’s effort especially the first half where they held Wallace down but did point out that his team just missed too many shots even when they were good ones especially at the start of the 3rd period when Broome outscored Clinton 17 – 4 to pull away…. Trevoria Dendy led the Lady Devils with 8 points… Chyna Davis had 5 points, Maleaka Neal & Tamia Sanders 4 each, K.T. Speaks & Queena Cunningham 3 each, Ticambrius Copland & Bredashia Walls 2 each and DeNaishia Floyd 1…. The Lady Red Devils are now 6-10 overall and 1-2 in region play.
- Boys: CHS 55 – BHS 39… In the boys’ game we have better news as Clinton took a 55-39 win over Broome…. Both teams started off slow but the Red Devils led by 7 (25-18) at the half… Clinton outscored Broome 17-9 in the 3rd period to build a lead that Broome could not overcome… Clinton’s offensive attack was led by a pair of seniors who both scored in double-digits… Shakiyl Smiley led with 20 points while Nike Davis was close behind with 20… Others scoring for Clinton were: Ian Kinard 5, Jay Fuller & Jayln Carter 3 each, Tymori Tribble 2 and RJ Robinson 1…. The Red Devils are now 7-10 overall and 2-1 in region play… The Red Devils will play host to Chapman tomorrow night.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders boarded the bus last Friday night and headed down to Greenwood to take on the Eagles
- Girls: GHS 68 – LDHS 28… In the first game of the evening, the Lady Eagles took a 68-28 win over the Lady Raiders… Coach Yoneko Washington said after the game that her team had way too many turnovers and failed to take or missed open shots when they presented themselves… The Lady Raiders were led by Kiya Burnside 9 points… Nasia Owens had 7, Michaela Evans 3, while Jessica Johnson, Bre Nance and Tiesha Jones all had 2 points each… K.C. Cofield rounded out the scoring with a single point.
- Boys: GHS 78 – LDHS 56… Greenwood completed the sweep of Laurens by taking a 78-56 win over the Raiders… The final score of the game would indicate that Greenwood handled the Raiders easily but that is not the case… Laurens led by as many as 21 points in the second quarter and led 36-23 at the half… In the first half Jordan Sargent held Greenwood’s Jarryd Coleman a Charleston Southern signee to just 2 points… In the third quarter Greenwood began to eat into the Raiders lead and Coleman picked up his offense as Sargent had found out of the game… By the time that final quarter started Greenwood had taken a 1 point lead… The Raiders were down by only 10 points with about 1 1/2 min. left to play it again when the Eagles iced the game… Greenwood’s Coleman finished with 18 points to lead all scorers… The Raiders had three players to score in double digits… They were Kezario Whitmore with 17 points, Toby Jackson 16 points and Chris Statom added 11 points… The Raiders will host the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets tomorrow night.
Laurens Academy: Also last Friday night the Laurens Academy Crusaders hosted the Eagles of Newberry Academy
- Boys: LA 68 – NA 52… In boys action the Crusaders took a 68-52 win over the Eagles… Chase Brewington had a career high record with 37 points… Matthew Urwick was also in double digits with 15 points… Also scoring were Samuel Moore 8, Nathan Tyson 4 and Robert Williams also with 4 points.
- Girls: NA 43 – LA 33… And girls varsity game the Lady Crusaders unfortunately wound up on the short end of the 43-33 score… The Lady Crusaders led 16-11 at the end of the first half but started getting in foul trouble in the third quarter allowing the Lady Eagles to start or come back… Kayla Mitchell and Taylor Williamson led the Lady Crusaders with 12 points each… The Crusaders will host Covenant Classical tomorrow night. I’ll catch up on JV action and Laurens Academy Middle School action tomorrow.
Local Sports Schedule: There is no local sports activity today as all the schools are closed for Martin Luther King Day
- .WLBG: tomorrow night Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the TL Hannah Yellow Jackets… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 24th as the Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th08th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.