CHS: Last night the CHS Red Devil varsity basketball teams hosted the Chapman Panthers in Region 3-AAA action…
- Girls: Clinton 53 – Chapman 41… In the 1st game at CHS, the Lady Red Devils took a 53-41 win… The game went back and forth until about midway of the 3rd. quarter when Clinton started a run that carried over into the final period to pull away for the win… Coach Wofford liked the way his team played unselfishly in the 2nd half and was able to beat the panther trap & press to get some easy shots… Maleaka Neal was the leading scorer for Clinton with 10 points… Bredashia Walls had 7 points while Trevoria Dendy, KT Speaks, Tamia Sanders & Cynthia McHam all had 6 points each… Ticambrius Copeland & Queena Cunningham added 4 each while Cassie Nichols & Noelia Leake added 2 each… The Lady Red Devils are now 7-10 overall & 2-2 in region play.
- Boys: Chapman: 76 – Clinton 58… In the boys game that uses not quite as good as Chapman took a 76-58 win over Clinton… Chapman led by 7 points at the half (37-30). But Clinton tied the game at 53 all by the end of the third quarter as Tay Cook scored 12 of his 22 points in the third.… However the final quarter turned out to be a disaster for Clinton as the Panthers outscored the Red Devils 23-5 to take a 76-58… Cook was the only Red Devil to score in double digits with his 22 points… Ian Kinard had 9 points, Nike Davis 8, Tymori Tribble & Shakiyl Smiley 5 each, Jay Fuller 4, Shakeam Dowdy 3 and RJ Robinson 2… The Red Devils are now 7-11 overall and 2-2 in region play… Clinton will travel to Union County this Friday night.
LDHS: The Laurens Raider varsity basketball teams hosted the Yellow Jackets of TL Hannah last night…
- Girls: TLH 60 – LDHS 43… The Lady Raiders continue to struggle as the Lady Yellow Jackets took a 60-43 win…. Laurens trailed 14-36 at the half but made a run in the 3rd period to get within 9 at the start of the 4th period (41-32) but Hannah put the game away in the 4th period outscoring the raiders 19-11… Turnovers and missed shots still continue to plague the team… The Lady Raiders had 2 players scoring in double-digits… They were Nasia Owens with 13 points and Kela Daniels with 12… Jessica Johnson had 9 points, Kiya Burnside 7 and KC Cofield 2…The Lady Raiders are now 1-12 overall and 0-7 in region play.
- Boys: TLH 67 – LDHS 51… In boys’ action, the 12-3 Yellow Jackets came in to the game tied for the region lead with a 5-1 record and took a 67-51 win over the home team… Laurens only trailed 20-15 at the end of the 1st period and managed to stay within 10 points of the Jackets until the 3rd period when Hannah started to pull away for the double-digit win… Kezario Whitmore was the only Raider in double-digits with 12 points… Chuck Johnson & Jordan Sargent had 9 points each, LaDarius Williams had 8, Toby Jackson 7, Nicholas Leake 4 and Chris Statom 2… The Raiders are now 9-8 on the season and 3-4 in region play… The Raiders will be at home this Friday as they host the Westside Rams.
Laurens Academy: And lastly the Laurens Academy Crusader basketball teams hosted the Covenant Classical Eagles out of the Columbia area…
- Girls: LA 35 – CC 17… The Lady Crusaders took a 35-17 win over the Eagles in the 1st varsity game at LA last night… Taylor Williamson led her team with 12 points… Others scoring for LA were: Caroline Verdin 8, Kayla Mitchell 6, Savannah Mitchell 3, Abigale Taylor 2, Kaitlyn Muir 2, and Cassidy Crowder 2… The lady Crusaders are now 9-7 on the season and 5-3 in region play.
- Boys: LA: 63 – CC 35… And in boys action the Crusaders completed the sweep of the Eagles with a 63-35 win… In the game Matthew Urwick scored his 1000 career point… Chase Brewington led the Crusaders with 24 points, Urwick had 23 and Robert Williams 14 to lead the Crusaders and scoring… Samuel Moore also added two points… The Crusaders are now 12-4 overall and 8-0 in region play…. The Crusaders will travel to Southside Christian this Friday night.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball at Chapman 6:00
- Wrestling at Easley vs. Easley & JL Mann
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Belton @ Bell Street White
- Bell Street Red at Gray Court-Owings
- Sanders @ Honea Path
- Hickory Tavern @ Laurens Middle
- .WLBG: Friday night Jan. 24th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Westside Rams… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 24th as the Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.