Local Sports Results:
CHS: Last Friday night and said Clinton Red Devils travel to Union to take on the Yellow Jackets in Region 3-AAA action
- Girls: UCHS 49 – CHS 34… In girls’ action, Clinton fell behind 31-13 at the half and just could not overcome that deficit in the remainder of the game… The Lady Red Devils just had trouble putting the ball in the basket when the scoring opportunities presented themselves… Clinton’s defense picked up in the second half but they just could not make up the difference… Maleaka Neal led Clinton with 12 points… Trevoria Dendy had 8, Chyna Davis & Bredaisha Walls had 4 each, Queena Cunningham & KT Speaks 3 each and DeNaishia Floyd 1…. The Lady Red Devils are now 2-3 in region play.
- Boys: CHS 81 – CHS 71… Better news in the 2nd game as the Red Devils took an 81-71 win in overtime… Don’t know many other details other than Tay Cook had 30 points to lead Clinton… Shakiyl Smiley chipped in 26… The boys are now 3-2 in region play and the Clinton teams will travel to Chester tomorrow night.
LDHS: The Laurens Raiders hosted the Rams of Westside last Friday in Region 1-AAAA action.
- Girls: WHS 72 – LDHS 27… The Lady Raiders were able to hang with the Lady Rams for about 3 minutes but then the more experienced Lady Rams went on to take a 72-27 win over the Lady Raiders… Laurens’ Kela Daniels led all scorers with 18 points… Nasia Owens had 4, KC Cofield & Tiesha Jones each had 2 and Bre Nance 1.
- Boys: LDHS: 57 – WHS 45… It was a different story in the boys’ contest as Laurens trailed most f the first 3 quarters but came back to take a 57-45 win over Westside braking the Raiders 4 game losing streak… Laurens trailed 22-18 at the half and did briefly take the lead in the 3rd period only to have Westside regain it and as the Rams led 34-31 going into the final period… In the final period Laurens defense picked up forcing the Rams into turnovers and they also took better control of the boards taking the lead for good with just over 5:30 left in the game… Jordan Sargent also scored 9 of his game high 17 points in the final period…. In addition to Sargent’s 17, the Raiders had 2 other players in double digits… They were Davon Boyce with 11 and Chuck Johnson with 10… Unfortunately, Boyce and Johnson will be suspended for the next game as they came off the bench during when a little “skirmish” broke out on the floor late in the game… By rule that is an ejection and ejections almost always result in an additional 1 game suspension… Toby Jackson & Kezario Whitmore had 6 points each while LaDarius Williams added 5 and both Chris Statom and Nicholas Leake added a single point… The Raiders will host the patriots of JL Mann tomorrow night.
Laurens Academy: The Crusaders hosted the Knights of WW King last Friday… The final, scores were;
- Boys: LA 70 – WWK 18… Robert Williams led all scorers for the Crusaders with 16 points… Others scoring for the Crusaders were; Matthew Urwick 14, Chase Brewington 11, Nathan Tyson 8, Samuel Moore 6, Josh Urwick 4, Noah Stribling 4, Ryan Holmes 3, Jack Kerber 2, Jannik Kallweit 2… Their record is now 13-5 overall and 9-0 in region play
- Girls: WWK 39 – LA 26… Their record is now 9-9 overall & 5-4 in region play
- MS Boys: LA 34 – WWK 12… Their record is now 12-5
- MS Girls: LA 47 – WWK 5…. The girls remain undefeated at 15-0
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball host Chester 6:00
- All basketball teams host Anderson Christian
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Hickory Tavern @ Bell Street Red
- Bell Street White @ Sanders
- Honea Path @ Gray Court-Owings
- Laurens Middle at Belton
- WLBG: Tomorrow night Jan. 28th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the JL Mann Patriots… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be Thur. Jan 30th as Gray Court-Owings travels to Hickory Tavern… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 21st as the Red Devils host the Woodruff Wolverines… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.