Local Sports Results:
- On Friday and Saturday January 24th & 25th the Laurens Raider Wrestling team traveled to Sumter South Carolina to participate in the Gamecock Duals… During those two days the Raiders defeated Bishop England 42-31, Conway 40-39, Irmo 54-21 and Carolina Forest 51-24. Unfortunately they also suffered losses to Marion 30-45, Wando 15-60 and Bamberg-Ehrhart 30-40 making them 4-3 over the weekend…. Complete match results can be found in the Wrestling Schedule and Results posting in the featured Sports are of wlbg.com home page.
Laurens Academy: Back on Saturday the LA Crusader boys’ team hosted East Dayton Christian out of Dayton, Ohio in a single game… I have only recently obtained those results.
- LA 62 – EDC 27… The Crusaders picked up their 14th win against only 5 loses as they defeated EDC 62-27… Chase Brewington outscored EDC as he had 35 points to lead the Crusaders… Others scoring for the Crusaders were Nathan Tyson 6, Ryan Holmes 5, Samuel Moore 4, Matthew Urwick 4, Jack Kerber 2, Robert Williams 2, Noah Stribling 2, and Josh Urwick 2.
- Men’s Top 10… The top 10 in men’s college basketball Division I had a few changes this week… The top 2 teams are the same, Arizona and Syracuse both undefeated… Florida moves from 6 to 3… Wichita state goes from 5 to 4 and San Diego State goes from 7 to 5… Spots 6-10 are held by Kansas, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Villanova and Michigan.
- Women’s Top 10… The top 5 women’s Division I teams did not change… They are Connecticut, Notre dame, Duke, Stanford and Louisville… North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Baylor and Tennessee round out the top 10.
- Baseball America Preseason Top 10… The college baseball preseason polls are out and the baseball America poll shows the top 5 to be Virginia, Oregon State, Indiana, Cal State Fullerton and North Carolina State… Spots 6-10 are occupied by Florida State, South Carolina, Mississippi State, LSU and Vanderbilt… Clemson checks in at # 13… All this is a sure sign that spring is on the way as the colleges crank up their season in about 2 weeks.
Local Sports Schedule:
- JV basketball @ Woodruff 6:00
Middle School Basketball: Girls games start at 5:00
- Belton @ Honea Path
- Bell Street Red @ Bell Street White
- Sanders vs. Laurens Middle @ LDHS
- Gray Court-Owings @ Hickory Tavern – to be broadcast on Real Radio 860 WLBG
- WLBG: Tuesday night February 4th Dr. Rhett Harris & Mike Hughes will bring you all the action from the LDHS main gym as the Raiders host the Woodmont Wildcats… They’ll go live just a few minutes before 6:00… Remember you can also hear the action on the internet at www.wlbg.com.
- WLBG: Our next middle school basketball broadcast will be tonight as Gray Court-Owings travels to Hickory Tavern… Join Mike Hughes a couple of minutes before 5:00 for all the action and remember it will be streamed live at www.wlbg.com.
- WPCC: Sports Radio 1410 WPCC will bring you CHS basketball Friday Jan. 32st as the Red Devils host the Woodruff Wolverines… Join Buddy, Jimmy & Jason a few minutes before 6:00 and remember you can catch the action a few minutes before 6:00 on the internet at www.wpcconline.com.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA has started registration for Middle School baseball and the registration will end 1-31-14… It is open to youth in the 6th – 8th grade who will not be 15 years of age before May 1, 2014…. Click on the following link for more information: 2014 Laurens Y Middle School Baseball
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is also registering youth for Tee Ball, Dixie Youth Baseball and Spring Soccer… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… Spring Soccer is also open to youth ages 3-15 and registration will close February 10th … For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
- City of Laurens Parks & Recreation Little League Baseball & Softball… Registration is also underway for Little League Baseball & Softball through the Laurens City Parks & Recreation Department… There are age appropriate divisions for youth ages 3 -12…. Registration will close February 14th and can be done at the Little River Park office during their normal business hours… Call 681-7275 for more information or go to the following website: www.laurenslittleleague.com.
- Clinton YMCA – City of Clinton Youth Baseball & Softball… Registration is now underway at the Clinton YMCA for youth baseball & softball… There are 7 different age groupings in baseball or girls’ softball for youth ages 3-15… The deadline to register without a $10 late fee is Feb. 18th…. Registration is at the Clinton YMCA during their normal business hours… For more information contact the YMCA at 833-1555…. By the way, they are looking for volunteer coaches also… Interested in that, contact Brian Shealy at the same number.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.