The championship game for the Lakeland JV Baseball Tournament has been cancelled and their will be no make-update. The CHS JV Baseball Team went 3-0 in the tournament defeating Emerald 12-3, Hillcrest 3-2 and Dixie 12-1. Congratulations to Coach Turner and the team for starting the year off 3-0. Their next game is scheduled for Tuesday March 11 and it will be against Chapman at home with first pitch scheduled for 6:00 pm.
Local Sports Results: Needless to say the weather yesterday caused the cancellation of everything related to any contest held outside and where spring sports are concerned, that is everything… But I do have a few other things related to the local high schools and colleges I can bring to you.
- Winter Sports Award… Back on Wednesday night CHS had their Winter Sports Award Ceremony… I have a list of some of the awards presented and they were: JV Girls Basketball – Hustler Award – Shanna Goforth, JV Boys Basketball –Hustler Award – Ta’Shymen Boyd, Varsity Girls: Sportsmanship – Bredaisha Walls & MVP – Queena Cunningham, Varsity Boys: Sportsmanship – Dee Goggins & MVP – Tay Cook and finally All-Region Team: Maleaka Neal, Tay Cook & Shakily Smiley… Congratulation to all these young people.
- JV Boys Baseball: The JV boys baseball team was suppose to be in action yesterday taking on Abbeville for the championship of the Lakelands JV Baseball Tournament and that game has been rescheduled for tomorrow at a time to be announced today.
- New CHS Athletics Twitter account… Now one way you might be able to find out exactly when and where that JV game will be played tomorrow is at the new CHS Athletic Department’s Twitter Account… That account name is: CHS Athletics @Clinton_Sports Of course there is another Twitter Account that has been around for a while that I believe is operated by the CHS Athletic Booster Club and that account name is: Red Devils @ClintonSCSports If you are a “tweeter” those 2 should pretty much keep you on top of CHS athletics.
Sunday at LDHS: Please see the information below in the FYI / Community Interest section about a free baseball coaches’ clinic and travel ball tryouts.
- Baseball: The PC baseball team is on the road down in Port Charlotte, Fla. taking on South Dakota State today and Northeastern & Maine tomorrow in a doubleheader.
- Baseball: The Tigers host Virginia Tech as they start ACC play today, tomorrow & Sunday… game times are 6:30 today and 1:00 on Sat. & Sunday
- Basketball: USC AD Ray Tanner has suspended men’s basketball Coach Frank Martin for Saturday’s game at Mississippi State for “inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes” during a time out during the recent Florida game in Columbia… My dad would have whipped me for that kind of talk.
- Baseball: The undefeated Gamecock baseball team will host Brown in a 3 game series starting tonight at 7:30… Saturday & Sunday’s games are scheduled to start at 4:00 and 12:30 respectively.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Free baseball Coaches’ Clinic… On Sunday Coach Dale Nelson will be hosting at free coaches’ clinic at the LDHS baseball field from 2-4 pm… The clinic is open to all Dixie Youth, Little League and travel ball coaches… It will be a great opportunity for coaches to pick up some tips and especially beneficial to newer coaches.
- Travel Basketball Try-Outs… Coach Yoneko Washington of LDHS will be holding try-outs for for 2 more travel basketball teams this Sunday from 5:30-7:30 at the LDHS main gym… One team is for boys in the 4th and 5th grades while the other team will be composed of girls in the 3rd-6th grade… For more information please contact Coach Yoneko Washington at email@example.com or Melvin Allen at (864) 876-2526.
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or text me at 864-981-3470.
2014 Laurens Baseball Schedule
|HC Dale Nelson|
|Assts: Grant Ramsey, Adam Howell, Tori Patterson & Harley Lail|
|Battle of the Piedmont|
|28-Feb||Southside Christ.||Home||5:00||W: 9-2|
|2014 Laurens JV Baseball Schedule [Read more...]|
2014 Laurens Softball Schedule
|H.C. Butch Clark, Asst. Brian Lotheridge|
|Triple Crown Tour. Aiken|
2014 Laurens JV Softball Schedule [Read more...]
Local Sports Results:
- BB: CHS 4 – DHS 1… The Clinton baseball team had their game with Dreher moved up to yesterday to avoid the rain that is forecasted for today and good news as the Red Devils took a 4-1 win over the Blue Devils… The game was tied 1-1 going into the top of the 7th inning when Clinton put 3 runs on the board and held Dreher scoreless in their half of the 7th to take the win… In the decisive 7th inning, Peyton Spangler had a sacrifice bunt to score a run while Matt Craven & O’Kevius Conway both had singles to drive in runs… Craven & Conway each had 2 hits to account for 4 of Clinton’s 6 hits… Bradley Templeton picked up the complete game win giving up 5 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 6 and walking 3…. Coach Lee Atkinson said afterwards” We didn’t look great at the plate tonight, but the bottom line is: we got the job done!”… Click on the following for more game stats: 14-3-5_BB_CHS-Dreher The Red Devils are supposed to finish their participation in the Carolina Ale House Classic on Saturday with opponent, time and location to be announced by Friday.
- Radford 78 – PC 73… The Presbyterian College men’s basketball team outscored the Radford Highlanders 19-5, in the final five and a half minutes to cut a 15-point game to just one, but the rally fell just short as Radford used clutch free throw shooting to take the five-point, 78-73 yesterday afternoon in the opening game of the Big South Tournament in Conway… Jordan Downing scored 32 points to lead the Blue Hose in scoring and this was the 4th time this season he scored 30 or more… The Blue Hose end their season with a 6-26 record while Radford goes to 21-11 and will Play #2 seed UNC Ashville at 2:00 pm tomorrow…. By the way the Lady Blue Hose basketball team will be back in action today as they take on the #2 seeded Lady Flames of Liberty at 6:00 pm tonight.
- Carolina 4 – Stetson 1… Weber Pike’s two-out two-run single in the bottom of the seventh inning capped a four-run frame as top ranked South Carolina rallied for a 4-2 victory over Stetson on yesterday afternoon at Carolina Stadium… The #1 ranked Gamecocks improve to 12-0 on the on the season…. The Gamecocks will host Brown in a 3 game series this weekend starting at 7 pm on Friday.
- Baseball Rankings: In case you missed it earlier in the week, the 12-0 Gamecocks have climbed all the way to the #1 spot in 2 of the 4 major college baseball polls… In the USA Today Coaches’ Poll, Florida State, Virginia, Vanderbilt & Cal State Fullerton round out the top 5… Spots 6-10 are occupied by Oregon State, LSU, NC State, Oregon & Mississippi State… Clemson comes in as high 16 in one poll but 20 or below in others
Odds & Ends:
- Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball… The Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball League opened up their season on Tuesday night and in those 2 games the Wildcats & Raiders both took wins… Now if you would like to see more information about the league, teams, rosters and schedules check the Between the Lines on our homepage at www.wlbg.com or click on the following link: Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball Info.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more...]
The Laurens YMCA Middle School Baseball program added two additional teams this season to bring the total number of teams up to 4 from the inaugural season was in 2013.
The Raiders, Tigers, Yellow Jackets and Wildcats comprise the development league. “Our goal when we started this program was to improve the skill level of participants and provide them a better opportunity to compete for positions on a High School team. It is our plan to continually improve the league and the competition in the league. “Said Brian Harlan, CEO
The games are scheduled each Tuesday and Thursday. Games are played at Collyar Park and Laurens County Park. The games begin at 6:00pm.
“We are proud to continue offering this program. It is made possible by partners such as Laurens Dixie Youth Baseball, The City of Laurens and Laurens County Parks and Recreation. The City of Laurens and LCPRT provide practice and game facilities to the program.” Continued Harlan
The Raiders are comprised of players from the Gray Court and Hickory Tavern communities. The Team is coached by Jeff Hubner. The players are Luke Willis, John Tyndall, Nicholas Robertson, Chase Gambrell, Devan Hubner, Victor Ornelas, Quay Burnside, Bryson Reece, Patrick Riopel, Trevor Neal, Ryan Dacre, Joseph Floyd and Nathan Long.
The Tigers are comprised of players from the Laurens community. The Team is coached by David Campbell. The players are Ryan Campbell, Chandler Davis, Devon Harp, Rysheed Smith, Dylan Beaty, Andrew Dominick, Zachary Plaia, Alex Davis, John Michael Weatherford, Heath Bragg, Will Jenkins, Nate Towles and David Hampton.
The Wildcats are comprised of players from the Clinton community. The Team is coached by Jeremy Wardell. The players are Justin Motes, Brandon Demery, Seth Vaughn, Konner Richardson, Cameron Nicholas, Jayden Argo, Jamarcus Cook, Cody Varn, JT Varn, Glavin Alexander, Blake Smith, Griffin Fuller, Parker Duncan and Riley Price.
The Yellow Jackets are comprised of players from the Sanders community. The Team is coached by Marty Woods. The players are Braylen Williams, Jordan Woodruff, Justin Woods, Bryce Sams, Garrett Addy, Will Adams, Casey Lawson, Christian Hill, Antonio Sims, Caleb Cain and Conner Dunlap.
The League schedule is:
|Date||Home Team||Visiting Team||Location|
|4-Mar||Yellow Jackets||Wildcats||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|6-Mar||Yellow Jackets||Tigers||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|11-Mar||Raiders||Yellow Jackets||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|13-Mar||Wildcats||Yellow Jackets||Collyar Park|
|13-Mar||Raiders||Tigers||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|18-Mar||Tigers||Yellow Jackets||Collyar Park|
|18-Mar||Raiders||Wildcats||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|20-Mar||Yellow Jackets||Raiders||Collyar Park|
|20-Mar||Wildcats||Tigers||Cnty. Pk. Fld #3|
|Single Elimination Tournament (Regular Season Champion will be the #1 Seed)|
|24-Mar||#2 Seed||#3 Seed||Collyar Park|
|25-Mar||#1 Seed||#4 Seed||Collyar Park|
|27-Mar||Win. 1(3-24)||Win. 2 (3-25)||Collyar Park|
Local Sports Results:
- Baseball: CHS 12 – Irmo 0… The Red Devil varsity baseball team was back in action yesterday down in Irmo taking on the Yellow Jackets… Good news as the team picked up its first win of the season making their record 1-1 as they defeated Irmo 12-0… O’Kevius Conway picked up the complete game win giving up only 1 hit while striking out 6 and walking 3… The Red Devils got their 12 runs on 9 hits and 9 walks issued by Irmo pitchers…. Mathew Craven had 3 of the Red Devil hits and Kendal Pitts had a solo homer… Click on the following for more game stats: 14-3-4_BB_CHS-Irmo The Red Devils are scheduled to be back in action Thursday at 6:00 pm as they travel to Columbia to take on the Dreher Blue Devils
- JV Baseball: CHS 12 – Dixie 1… The CHS JV baseball team continues to roll in the Lakelands JV Tournament as they picked up a 12-1 win over Dixie in Greenwood yesterday… Brayden Gibbs picked up the win behind a 12 hit attack by the Red Devils… The team advances to the championship game on Thursday with the opponent and time to be determined later.
- Baseball: LDHS 9 – EHS 2… The Laurens Raider baseball team picked up its 3rd win of the season against no loses as they defeated the Emerald Vikings last night at Ed Prescott Field… The Vikings led 2-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd inning when Laurens struck for 2 runs to tie the game… Laurens took the lead for good in the 4th inning when Hammer Walker stroked a double into left-center field to drive in 2 of the 3 runs scored in the inning… Laurens scored 4 runs in the 6th with Walker again collecting the big hit a triple to drive in 2 runs… Trae Coleman was the only other Raider to collect 2 hits on the night and Tanner Adair got the start and picked up the win pitching 4 innings before Kevin Dean finished the game in relief… Click on the following for more game stats: 14-3-4_LDHSB-Emer_stats Click on the following for the game scorecard: 14-3-4_L-BB–Emerald_scorecard Laurens will play again Thursday against an opponent at a time and location to be announced.
- PC 54 – Longwood 40… The Lady Blue Hose basketball team opened Big South Tournament play yesterday afternoon with a 54-40 win over Longwood down in Conway… PC closed the game on an 18-4 run to break a 36-36 tie with 7:19 to go en route to the victory… Keyonna Allen had 16 points and Aianna Long had 13 to pace the PC offense… The # 7 seeded Lady Blue Hose now face the #2 seeded Lady Flames of Liberty at 6:00 pm tomorrow night.
- USC 7 – Stetson 1… The top ranked Univ. of SC Gamecocks ran their record to 11-0 yesterday as they defeated Stetson 7-1… Click on the following for more game information: 3-4-14 Gamecock Baseball Info
- Western Carolina 18 –Clemson 10… The Clemson Tiger baseball team traveled to Western Carolina to take on the Catamounts yesterday and in a real “pitching duel” the Tigers came up on the short end of an 18-10 score… The Catamounts have now won 16 consecutive home games the longest home winning streak in the nation… Click on the following for more Game Information: 3-4-14 Tiger Baseball Info.
Local Sports Schedule: None noted [Read more...]
Weather Postponements: Well the rainy weather caused several contest to be postponed yesterday.
CHS: The lacrosse team’s match with St. Joe was forced to be postponed and at this time I do not know the date of the make-up…. The baseball team also had to cancel yesterday and they will make up their game with Irmo today at Irmo… First pitch is scheduled for 5:30.
LDHS: The Raider baseball team suffered the same fate and their game with Emerald will be played at Ed Prescott Field today at 5:00 pm.
Local Sports Results:
- Wrestling: The Laurens Raider wrestling team had 2 representatives at the state Tournament in Anderson last weekend… Austin (Spanky) Crocker competed in the 195 pound weight class and Ryan Hughes in the 182 pound weight class… Crocker last his first mach to the eventual state champion from Cane Bay but rebounded to take his second match 8-3 before losing his third match 5-3… Ryan Hughes finished 3rd winning his 1st match but lost his second to the eventual state champ by a score of 3-1 in overtime… He then won the next 2 matches to place 3rd… The loss was only his second of the season… Congratulations to Austin, Ryan and Coach Sheffield on a great season.
- CAMB 58 – LA 47… The Crusader boys’ basketball team took on the Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach in the SCISA Class A Championship Game Saturday down in Sumter… The same 2 teams faced off last season in the championship game with CAMB taking the win… Unfortunately history repeated itself as the CAMB took a 58-47 win leaving the Crusaders to be the bridesmaid for the 2nd year in a row…. The Crusaders led 13-11 at the end of the 1st quarter but trailed 19-29 at the half… The Crusaders battled back to get within 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter but still trailed 34-36 going into the final period before losing 58-47… Chase Brewington and Matthew Urwick had 16 points to lead the Crusaders’ offense… Samuel Moore added 8, Ryan Holmes 4 and both Ryan Sneed and Robert Williams had 2 points each… Brewington and Urwick were selected to the State All-Tournament team… The Crusaders finish the season with an overall record of 26-6… Congratulations to the Crusaders on a great season!!
- SCISA All-Star Teams… Congratulations go out today to Chase Brewington, Matthew Urwick, Kayla Mitchell and Coach Travis Plowden at Laurens Academy… Brewington and Urwick have been named to the SCISA Boys All-Star Team while Mitchell was named to the girls’… Coach Travis Plowden was also named as the Head Coach of the SCISA team… The all-star teams will compete against a similar all-star team from Georgia… Those contests will take place on March 15th in Macon, Georgia…. Again congratulations to Coach Plowden and these fine young athletes!
- College Baseball Rankings… The 10-0 South Carolina Gamecocks coming off the 3-game sweep of Pickens County A&M (Clemson) this past weekend have climbed all the way to the #1 spot in 2 of the 4 major college baseball polls… In the USA Today Coaches’ Poll, Florida State, Virginia, Vanderbilt & Cal state Fullerton round out the top 5… Spots 6-10 are occupied by Oregon State, LSU, NC State, Oregon & Mississippi State… Clemson comes in as high 16 in one poll but 20 or below in others… The Tigers will be on the road taking on Western Carolina today at 4:00 pm while the Gamecocks start a 2-game series with Stetson in Columbia today at 4:00 and finish the series tomorrow at 4:00 also.
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more...]
Local Sports Results: Well there was a fair amount of baseball and softball action as both the Clinton baseball and softball teams opened their season in tournament action as well as the LDHS baseball team.
Softball: The Lady Red Devils were in action on Friday and Saturday in the Snow Ball Classic at Heritage Park in Simpsonville:
- Friday: PHS 4 – CHS 0…The Lady Red Devils took on the Lady Mustangs of Palmetto were shut down by their pitcher as Palmetto took a 4-0 win… They only mustered one hit and struck out 10 times… Jessica Wood pitched 4 innings giving up 7 hits and allowing 4 runs
- Sat. -1: CHS 10 – CF 0… Saturday’s first game was against Calhoun Falls and Clinton faired much better winning 10-0 as Kayleigh Pitts threw a no-hitter… The Lady Devils had 11 hits with Allison Oxner and Mason Paige Gambrell leading the way with 2 hits each.
- Sat.-2: DHS 9 – CHS 4… The 2nd game on Saturday was against 4-A Dorman and the Lady Cavaliers took a 9-4 win… Molly Scarborough led the way with 2 hits, but defensively Clinton had 5 errors leading to half of Dorman’s runs.
- Sat.-3: CHS 7 – SSCA 3… The Lady Red Devils rebounded in game 3 on Saturday and took a 7-3 win over Southside Christian Academy… Jessica Wood pitched a strong game giving up 2 hits while striking out 6… Offensively Clinton was led by freshman Kalen Richardson who hit a pinch-hit 3 run homer to take the lead and seal the win.
- Sat-4: WHS 5 – CHS 1… The final game on Sat. was against another 4-A team the Lady Generals of Wade Hampton.. In that game the Lady Devils came up on the short end of a 5-1 score… Jessica Wood only gave up 6 hits over 5 innings with 2 earned runs but again errors hurt the Lady Devils… Offensively Clinton was led by Allison Oxner who went 3 for 3 and Brittany Wright who went 2 for 2 with a walk.
Baseball: The Red Devil baseball team traveled to Irmo on Saturday to take on the Aiken Green Hornets as part of the Carolina Ale House Classic
- AHS 9 – CHS 4 …. The Red Devils took a 1-0 lead at the end of the 1st inning and led 3-2 going into the 6th inning when they gave up 6 runs and eventually lost 9-4 to the Hornets… Peyton Spangler, Landon Allison, Kendal Pitts & Josh Simmons all had 2 for the Red Devils… Trey Childress had a solo homer for the Red Devils… Click on the following for more game stats: 14-3-1_CHS-Aiken The Red Devils will be back in action this evening as they take on Irmo at Irmo with first pitch scheduled to be thrown at 6:00 pm.
Baseball: The Raider varsity baseball team opened their season on Friday & Saturday as they started their participation in the Battle of the Piedmont Tournament.
- Friday: LDHS 9 – SSC 0… On Friday the Raiders opened up season play with a 9-0 win over Southside Christian… The Raiders jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first and never looked back as Kevin Dean and Tanner Adair combined to throw a 1 hit game… Cole Blocker and PJ Timms led the Raiders 8-hit attack with 2 hits each… Click on the following for more game stats: 2014-2-28_SSC-LDHS_stats Click on the following for the game scorecard:2014-2-28_L-BB-9-SSC-0_scorecard
- Saturday: LDHS 13 – PHS 2… On Saturday the Raiders faced off against the Patriots of Powdersville High and again were won but this time by a score of 13-2 in 6 innings… The Raiders led 4-0 going into the 4th inning when they put 6 runs on the board to pretty much put the game away… Thomas Jones went 3 for 4 to lead the Raiders and Graydon Hamby had a homer to end the game.… Cody Smiley pitched 4⅔innings to pick up the win with Tanner Adair finishing the game in relief… Click on the following for more game stats: 2014-3-1_LDHSB-Pow_stats Click on the following for the game scorecard: 2014-3-1_L-BB-13-Powder-2_scorecard The Raiders will return to action in today as they host Emerald in the tournament at 5:00 pm
- Wrestling – Check back tomorrow for how the raider wrestlers did in the state tournament.
- CAMB 58 – LA 47… The Crusader boys’ basketball team took on the Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach in the SCISA Class A Championship Game Saturday down in Sumter… The same 2 teams faced off last season in the championship game with CAMB taking the win… Unfortunately history repeated itself as the CAMB took a 58-47 win leaving the Crusaders to be the bridesmaid for the 2nd year in a row…. The Crusaders led 13-11 at the end of the 1st quarter but trailed 19-29 at the half… The Crusaders battled back to get within 4 at the end of the 3rd quarter but still trailed 34-36 going into the final period before losing 58-47… Sorry but no scoring details at this time… The Crusaders finish the season with an overall record of 24-6… Congratulations to the Crusaders on a great season!!
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more...]