Real Radio 860 WLBG Sports Report: 5-24-13
Welcome this is your Real Radio 860 WLBG sports for a Friday and it’s brought to you by Presbyterian College Athletics… The PC baseball team finished theirseason with a 24-32 overall record and 10-14 in Big South Action… The Blue Hose just missed making the Big South Tournament this year… The Blue Hose will lose 5 seniors due to graduation but return plenty of talent… One of those who will be returning is Laurens Academy graduate Brandon Martin who will be a junior next season… He had the 5th highest batting average on the team batting .259 (team average was .253) in 112 at bats… He had 29 hits (5 of which were for extra bases) driving in 10 runs and scoring 12…. Remember you can keep up with everything related to PC athletics at GoBlueHose.com.
CHS: Last night CHS honored athletes who participated in spring sports… Each coach had their team members come on stage where they received certificates, letters or other awards… The highlight of the ceremony was the naming of the male and female athlete of the year based on a prescribed point system… The female athlete of the year is Gabby Bates who lettered In varsity volleyball, basketball and track… The male athlete of the year is Kenyon Brown… Kenyon lettered in football, basketball and track… Congratulations to not only Gabby and Kenyon but also to all the other award winners.
LDHS: Recently it was announced that Jim Iacuone will be the boys’ golf coach at LDHS next year… He has been the JV boys’ golf coach as well as the girls’ varsity head coach… He is stepping into this position after Coach Bill Screws announced he was stepped down in anticipation of his retirement after next season.
College Baseball Notes:
- Vanderbilt 4 – South Carolina 3… For the second consecutive day, 12th ranked South Carolina rallied from three runs down, however top ranked Vanderbilt loaded the bases in the 10th inning and with one out a RBI base hit from Conrad Gregor lifted the Commodores to a 4-3 win over the Gamecocks in an elimination game… The Gamecocks are now 39-18 on the season and will find out Sunday night if that is good enough to host a regional tournament and if not will find out if / where they will play in the regionals on Monday
- Alabama 7 – Mississippi 5… Mississippi eliminated.
- Arkansas 4 – LSU 1… Arkansas advances to semifinals on Saturday
- Mississippi State 6 – Texas A&M 4… Mississippi State advances to the semifinals on Saturday.
- Virginia 8 Georgia Tech 2… Virginia 1-1 in Pool B, Georgia Tech 1-1 in Pool B [Read more...]