Local Sports Results:
CHS: The Red Devils hosted Union County last Saturday afternoon in a weather postponed contest
- Girls: UCHS 48 – CHS 45… On Senior Day 2014 the Lady Red Devils took the second place Union County to the limit before losing 48-45. Clinton made more baskets and the same amount if free throws but Union County hit 7 three’s while Clinton hit zero. That and the fact that the Lady Red Devils missed 20 free throws for the second game in a row proved to be too much. Clinton was down 1 after 1 but the Lady Yellow Jackets stretched the lead to nine at the half. The Lady Red Devils were able to cut the lead to eight at the end of three and turned up the defensive pressure in the final period and actually took a one point lead late in the game before Union County hit a three to put them up 2. Clinton was able to cut the lead to 1 with 1:30 to go before Union County hit a field goal to extend the lead to three. Clinton scored with less than a minute to go to cut the lead to one and made a steal on the defensive end and Trevoria Dendy drove the lane and got fouled with 10 sec. remaining and stepped up and made the first free throw to tie the game. She missed the second and almost got the offensive rebound before Union got it and drive the length of the floor and hit Mari Eison for her 5th three-pointer at the buzzer to win the game… Coach Chris Wofford stated after the game “Free throws have hurt us all year… It’s not like we don’t practice them and make them in practice but when we get to games we have struggled… Cannot say enough about our seniors and the leadership that they have shown this year. Hopefully we are not done and will get a chance to continue our season… We will just have to wait and see what happens Monday when Union goes to Chapman. We will definitely be pulling for union that night. But whatever happens happens. We have had our chances and we will let the chips fall where they may…. Maleaka Neal and Trevoria Dendy led the Red Devils with 15 and 14 points respectively… Tamia Sanders had 6 points, Queena Cunningham 4, KT Speaks & Ticambrius Copeland 2 each while Noelia Leake & Bredaisha Walls added 1 each.
- Boys: CHS 71 – UCHS 53… Now it was better news in the boys’ game as Clinton took a 71-53 victory over Union County… Clinton enjoyed a three point lead at the half (31-28) and stretched the lead to 10 going into the 4th quarter… In the final quarter the Red Devils outscored the Yellow Jackets 22-13 to take the win… The Red Devils attack was fairly balanced and Ian Kinard was the only Red Devil scoring in double digits with 11 points… Tay Cook and Jalyn Carter scored nine points each while Nike Davis, Dee Goggins and Shakiyl Smiley had 8 points each… Others scoring were Tymori Tribble with 7, RJ Robinson 5, Shakeem Dowdy 3, DY Young to and Vee Thompson one to round out the Red Devil scoring… The win gave the Red Devils third-place in Region 3 – AAA and I believe they will face AC Flora next Thursday night.
LDHS: also last Saturday at 3 PM the Laurens Raiders hosted the Greenwood Eagles in a makeup game from the night before.
- Girls: GHS 72 – LDHS 36… In the first game at Laurens high school last Saturday afternoon, the Lady Eagles of Greenwood showed why they are #1 in the region and in the top 10 in the state as they took a 72-36 win over the Lady Raiders… Greenwood jumped out to a 20-3 lead at the end of the first quarter of play and never looked back even as they use their substitutes liberally especially in the 2nd and 4th quarter… Kela Daniels was the only Raiders scoring in double digits with 12 points… Others scoring for Laurens were Kia Burnside & Nasia Owens with 6 points each, Laura Jackson 5, KeKe Watts 4 and Bre Nance 3 points… The Lady Raiders in their season 1-19 overall and 0-14 in region play… After the game coach Yoneko Washington said she felt the future was bright for the Raiders as she has a young squad coming back and good players on the JV team.
- Boys: LDHS 74 – GHS 64… Better used in the boys game as the Raiders took a 74-64 win over the Eagles to enhance their resume for a possible playoff spot… The Raiders lead 36-20 at the half but had memories of the game with Greenwood at Greenwood where the Eagles came back from a first-half deficit to take the win on their home court… The Raiders stretched their lead to 6 points going into the final. And withstood a late charge by the Eagles to take the win… Kezario Whitmore lead the Raiders with 25 points and Davon Boyce chipped in 18… Also scoring for the Raiders were Chuck Johnson 9, LaDarius Williams 8, Toby Jackson 5, Chris Statom 4, Jordan Sargent 3 and Nicolas Leake 1… The Raiders finished in fifth place in Region I-AAAA and may yet still make it into the playoffs as 2 of 3 number five seeds will be the last two teams into the playoffs… Wednesday should be the day that the Raiders find out whether they are in or out.
Laurens Academy: the Laurens Academy Crusaders started region tournament action last Saturday.
- Girls: LA 40 – Mead Hall 33… The Lady Crusaders open terminal action with a 40-33 win over Mead Hall… Taylor Williamson was the leading scorer for Laurens Academy with 21 points… The lady Crusaders will be back in action tonight at Newberry College as they take on the Newberry Academy Eagles at 7 PM.
- Boys: LA 83 – Northside 22… The top ranked Crusader boys’ team was also victorious as they took an 83-22 win over Northside… They too will be back in action tonight at Newberry College as they take on Wardlaw in an 8:30 PM contest
Olympic Medal Count:
Place Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Netherlands 5 5 7 17
2 Russian Federation 4 7 5 16
3 United States of America 4 4 8 16
4 Norway 5 3 6 14
5 Canada 4 6 4 14
Local Sports Schedule: [Read more...]