Local Sports Results: Needless to say the weather yesterday caused the cancellation of everything related to any contest held outside and where spring sports are concerned, that is everything… But I do have a few other things related to the local high schools and colleges I can bring to you.
- Winter Sports Award… Back on Wednesday night CHS had their Winter Sports Award Ceremony… I have a list of some of the awards presented and they were: JV Girls Basketball – Hustler Award – Shanna Goforth, JV Boys Basketball –Hustler Award – Ta’Shymen Boyd, Varsity Girls: Sportsmanship – Bredaisha Walls & MVP – Queena Cunningham, Varsity Boys: Sportsmanship – Dee Goggins & MVP – Tay Cook and finally All-Region Team: Maleaka Neal, Tay Cook & Shakily Smiley… Congratulation to all these young people.
- JV Boys Baseball: The JV boys baseball team was suppose to be in action yesterday taking on Abbeville for the championship of the Lakelands JV Baseball Tournament and that game has been rescheduled for tomorrow at a time to be announced today.
- New CHS Athletics Twitter account… Now one way you might be able to find out exactly when and where that JV game will be played tomorrow is at the new CHS Athletic Department’s Twitter Account… That account name is: CHS Athletics @Clinton_Sports Of course there is another Twitter Account that has been around for a while that I believe is operated by the CHS Athletic Booster Club and that account name is: Red Devils @ClintonSCSports If you are a “tweeter” those 2 should pretty much keep you on top of CHS athletics.
Sunday at LDHS: Please see the information below in the FYI / Community Interest section about a free baseball coaches’ clinic and travel ball tryouts.
- Baseball: The PC baseball team is on the road down in Port Charlotte, Fla. taking on South Dakota State today and Northeastern & Maine tomorrow in a doubleheader.
- Baseball: The Tigers host Virginia Tech as they start ACC play today, tomorrow & Sunday… game times are 6:30 today and 1:00 on Sat. & Sunday
- Basketball: USC AD Ray Tanner has suspended men’s basketball Coach Frank Martin for Saturday’s game at Mississippi State for “inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes” during a time out during the recent Florida game in Columbia… My dad would have whipped me for that kind of talk.
- Baseball: The undefeated Gamecock baseball team will host Brown in a 3 game series starting tonight at 7:30… Saturday & Sunday’s games are scheduled to start at 4:00 and 12:30 respectively.
FYI / Community Interest:
- Free baseball Coaches’ Clinic… On Sunday Coach Dale Nelson will be hosting at free coaches’ clinic at the LDHS baseball field from 2-4 pm… The clinic is open to all Dixie Youth, Little League and travel ball coaches… It will be a great opportunity for coaches to pick up some tips and especially beneficial to newer coaches.
- Travel Basketball Try-Outs… Coach Yoneko Washington of LDHS will be holding try-outs for for 2 more travel basketball teams this Sunday from 5:30-7:30 at the LDHS main gym… One team is for boys in the 4th and 5th grades while the other team will be composed of girls in the 3rd-6th grade… For more information please contact Coach Yoneko Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melvin Allen at (864) 876-2526.
- Laurens YMCA Registration for Spring Sports… The Laurens YMCA is registering youth for Tee Ball and Dixie Youth Baseball… Tee Ball & Dixie Youth is open to those ages 3-15 and registration closes March 17th… For more information about these call he Laurens YMCA at 984-2626 or go to the Y’s website www.laurensymca.org.
If you have any comments, suggestions, or want to reports scores, please contact me via email at: email@example.com or text me at 864-981-3470.